Poormans Super Light

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Had an Aztec Lighting 4 aa carrier type holder flashlight at home. After some reading of the forums I decided to drop in a 3 cell Mag Lite Magnum bulb. WOW! what a difference it made.
The throw on this thing is amazing. For a cheap lite to start with the reflector on this thing is pretty good quality and deep. Has some artifacts and a small black hole.
I used it when I went with my Austrailian Sheperd walking last night and it really lit up the road.My walk takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and I didnt notice any appreciable dimming of light. Its running on Ray o Vac alkalines. I would put it up against some of the cheaper handheld rechargeable spotlights.
It dosent heat up enough to melt the reflector or lens but does give off enough heat that you can feel it about 8 inches away. Not the best light in the world but for a total investment of about $7.00 it works for me.

I am sure there are better light mods out there but i was really impressed with it. By the way the light was purcahsed at Big Lots.

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I burned up a lot of 3-cell Mag-num Star bulbs running them like that and found the 3-cell Radio Shack XPR103 holds up much better. A little Armour-etch frosting on the bulb cleans up ALL of the artifacts, too!

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Got me a Surefire G2 over the weekend. The PSL(Poormans Super Light) blows the G2 away. And wth a verified at least 45 minutes of runtime it holds its own against the SF. The PSL dosent have as quite as good as spot as G2 but for $30.00 less than the SF it sits just right with me.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
bfg9000 said:
I burned up a lot of 3-cell Mag-num Star bulbs running them like that and found the 3-cell Radio Shack XPR103 holds up much better. A little Armour-etch frosting on the bulb cleans up ALL of the artifacts, too!

Do you think running a Mag White Star 2 cell bulb or KPR102 will hold up to 3C alkalines in a vintage light? I just want to increase performance by adding an extra cell and perhaps overdriving the bulb. Thoughts?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Another thing I noticed is that not all Krypton bulbs are created equal. I replaced a generic philips 2 cell bulb in a cheap plastic 2D light with a Mag White Star 2D and what a difference! the light is maybe only 10% brighter but a huge improvement in whiteness.

tomdooley62 said:
Had an Aztec Lighting 4 aa carrier type holder flashlight at home. After some reading of the forums I decided to drop in a 3 cell Mag Lite Magnum bulb. WOW! what a difference it made.
The throw on this thing is amazing. For a cheap lite to start with the reflector on this thing is pretty good quality and deep. Has some artifacts and a small black hole.
I used it when I went with my Austrailian Sheperd walking last night and it really lit up the road.My walk takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and I didnt notice any appreciable dimming of light. Its running on Ray o Vac alkalines. I would put it up against some of the cheaper handheld rechargeable spotlights.
It dosent heat up enough to melt the reflector or lens but does give off enough heat that you can feel it about 8 inches away. Not the best light in the world but for a total investment of about $7.00 it works for me.

I am sure there are better light mods out there but i was really impressed with it. By the way the light was purcahsed at Big Lots.