Ever try an Osram 64633 15V 150watt bulb?

zehnmm

Enlightened
I have recently been trying out, in my Mag 3D (quad-bored with 12x CBP1650's, high-temp KIU socket) the Osram 64633 15V, 150watt bulb ($4.50 each at bulbconnection.com.) This is in direct-drive mode.

Now this is really the opposite of true CPF passion: underdriving a bulb vs. overdriving. What blasphemy! But, at my house, we have some outdoor halogen lights that are rated at 130V, and when underdriven, give a longer bulb life.

The 64633 bulb rates at 5600 bulb lumens. At 13.2volts to the bulb, I calculate that I get an estimated 2327 torch lumens with WA re-rating formulas and a 65% torch/bulb conversion factor. (When it first turns on, it is brighter, such as est. 3155 torch lumens at 14.4V; after running a few minutes, I figure that due to voltage sag of the 1650's, the volts to the bulb drop to about 12 volts, yielding 1667 torch lumens.)

The deal is that it is more yellow than other solutions, such as the Osram 62138 100watt bulb at 13.0 volts. However, I have used the light outside to run in short bursts and the yellow-ish part does not bother me at all. Moreover, you do not have to worry about flashing the bulb at voltages less than 15V. According to the re-rating formulas, the rated average bulb life of 50 hours increases when underdriven, such as 232 hours at 13.2 volts.

Has anyone else tried this bulb? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Delvance

Enlightened
I've been meaning to try this bulb as well...too bad the last time i ordered some Osram bulbs, they stuffed up my order and i got a 64623 instead of a 64633. I was going to try it on a combo of 12xGP2000s and maybe even 13xGp2000s but i doubt it'd take 13 DD.

I might just get some soon hrmm :)

zehnmm

Enlightened
Delvance: Keep us posted! I, too, will eventually try 12 GP 2000's when I get one of AWRs battery packs.

Regards.

Delvance

Enlightened
Will do. Might be awhile though...the supplier i get my Osram bulbs from takes their leisurely time shipping and processing etc. They're cheap and located in Australia however (cheap shipping for me).

sylathnie

Enlightened
I bought some of these to try in my first hotwire with a 15.6V pack. I will let you all know how they work. I'm waiting on my high temp socket now. Everything else is on it's way or already here.

Hurry up Kiu! :sigh:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some of these to try in my first hotwire with a 15.6V pack. I will let you all know how they work. I'm waiting on my high temp socket now. Everything else is on it's way or already here.

Hurry up Kiu! :sigh:

I ordered 15.6v pack from Luxluthor meant for running 623 but thingking of using it with 633 as well, i bought several bulbs to try out and 633 is one of them...wont be too white i guess but aren't 50 hours bulbs already whiter than their 2000/4000 hours siblings?

thanks.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok got the battery 15.6v pack from LuxLuthor. Took the 623 bulb out and replace it with 633 bulb. To my eyes it has the same brightness and burning ability compared to 623(yeah still ignite papers) The good thing is even when the pack freshly from the charger using 633 bulbs wont flashed unlike 623 which will flash instantly.

623 bulbs are not available locally i might be running 633 when running out of bulbs.

thanks.

Taboot

Enlightened
Ok got the battery 15.6v pack from LuxLuthor. Took the 623 bulb out and replace it with 633 bulb. To my eyes it has the same brightness and burning ability compared to 623(yeah still ignite papers) The good thing is even when the pack freshly from the charger using 633 bulbs wont flashed unlike 623 which will flash instantly.

623 bulbs are not available locally i might be running 633 when running out of bulbs.

thanks.

My 623 doesn't flash with Lux's 15.6 V pack hot off the charger. I'm using AW's D Incan (soft-start), so that likely helps a lot. I've run it through probably 6 cycles, no troubles.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, never had any insta-flash really, i just got my 623. I thought that 623 will flashed with hot Pack?

My 623 doesn't flash with Lux's 15.6 V pack hot off the charger. I'm using AW's D Incan (soft-start), so that likely helps a lot. I've run it through probably 6 cycles, no troubles.

jufam44

Enlightened
What about running this with a 15.6v pack? Would that be right around the comfort level of the bulb?

Taboot

Enlightened
rizky_p,

I have now gone hot off the charger to bulb 9 or 10 times on full power with AW D Incan driver with no trouble. The driver soft-starts (reduces peak in-rush current to my understanding) the bulb, so this may be saving it. Without timing it, I would estimate it takes 1 to 1.5 seconds to reach maximum brightness. Perhaps without SS, it would flash. If it matters, I also have not done any major resistance-reducing mods and it is a 4D host.

Regards,

Taboot

Well, never had any insta-flash really, i just got my 623. I thought that 623 will flashed with hot Pack?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
rizky_p,

I have now gone hot off the charger to bulb 9 or 10 times on full power with AW D Incan driver with no trouble. The driver soft-starts (reduces peak in-rush current to my understanding) the bulb, so this may be saving it. Without timing it, I would estimate it takes 1 to 1.5 seconds to reach maximum brightness. Perhaps without SS, it would flash. If it matters, I also have not done any major resistance-reducing mods and it is a 4D host.

Regards,

Taboot

I dont use AW Incan driver at the moment the only thing stock is the mag switch. I am not brave enough to try it on myself right after fully charged :) had to order the bulb from the states(that is half way around the globe) :confused:

Taboot

Enlightened
I dont use AW Incan driver at the moment the only thing stock is the mag switch. I am not brave enough to try it on myself right after fully charged :) had to order the bulb from the states(that is half way around the globe) :confused:

Ooh yeah, don't blame you. Hopefully still good information to have. No troubles using the stock switch? Thats good to know.

Have fun with your 623!

T

RoyJ

Enlightened
rizky_p,

Regards,

Taboot

With the Icandriver, it already is lowered in resistence, so no further mods necessary (except solder some wires on the tailcap spring.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh yeah, don't blame you. Hopefully still good information to have. No troubles using the stock switch? Thats good to know.

Have fun with your 623!

T

Nope no trouble at the switch other than the switch feels sticky sometimes, probably because of the arc...

cat

Enlightened
So the resistance across the switch contacts is gradually increasing.

Taboot, search for
tail spring resistance
...you should get to the link to AWR's photos.
You solder a piece of desoldering braid - or thick flexible wire - between the top and bottom of the spring. It reduces the resistance of the spring by about 90%.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
You solder a piece of desoldering braid - or thick flexible wire - between the top and bottom of the spring. It reduces the resistance of the spring by about 90%.

i did the mod you mentioned but didnt realize that the tailspring has so much resistance.

Taboot

Enlightened
So the resistance across the switch contacts is gradually increasing.

Taboot, search for
tail spring resistance
...you should get to the link to AWR's photos.

Thanks cat! I'm going to give it a try tonight.