Gave away my X5

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My nephew stopped over last night and he has a new job where he goes in early to a business every morning at 5:00 AM and works out back setting up things and it is often dark in some of the rooms and the yard as they do not want lights on to make it look open yet.

I asked him if he had a light and he popped out this cheap $2 AA plastic incand. light he picked up at a gas station. I told him he needed something much mosre dependable, brighter and longer lasting so I showed him and gave him my X5 and he loved it.

Today I have to run and pick up a new one.

havand

Enlightened
Nice. Dependable though? My x5 is anything but. Half the time, it won't light up or lights up soo dimly the leds are barely illuminated. Then others it comes on full blast. *shrugs. I don't use it much because of this. I think it has something to do with that push rod attached to the head. I have one of the old style ones though.

ianb

Enlightened
:goodjob:

always nice to enlighten someone life with a quality flashlight, I have guided my family to better lights over the years often subsidising them myself as I love the enjoyment from a good light when they've been using a generic 2aa $5 light :D

Myself I'm not a fan of the X5 I prefer a single LED/reflctor set-ups, but :thumbsup: anyway, sounds like a great step up for him.

Ian :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Dependable though? My x5 is anything but. Half the time, it won't light up or lights up soo dimly the leds are barely illuminated.

I have had it for months now, since the new version came out, and gone through 3 sets of batteries in it, and it has not even blinked once or dimmed except when batteries are dying off, and that is so smooth you barely notice it happening till the end. If it was always like that, you should have returned it long ago because that is not right, with any of the Inovas I have, and I have a few of them.

Myself I'm not a fan of the X5 I prefer a single LED/reflctor set-ups, but
thumbsup.gif
anyway, sounds like a great step up for him.

The X5 is the only multiple LED light I really use, most of them are single LEd units, but the X5 is just too nice to not use. I thought I would never use it because it was "old" technology when I bought it, but it has become my favorite around the home "floody" light. Its brightness and runtime, slimline design (good to slip into a hip pocket comfortably) makes it just too handy, for me. I do understand your position though.

It will do him very well for his purpose too. BTW, I had to run pic up a new one already, could not go the night without it, lol.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Email Inova's customer service about your concern. I am pretty sure they will fix the problem. I had a faulty tail switch for my Inova XO3 and they sent me a tailcap. Their customer service is really good.

I Have the Inova X5T (county comm edition), very reliable but it doesn't see a lot of action because of its bulkier size and dimmer output compared to the smaller ones i carry like the Fenix P1.

havand said:
Nice. Dependable though? My x5 is anything but. Half the time, it won't light up or lights up soo dimly the leds are barely illuminated. Then others it comes on full blast. *shrugs. I don't use it much because of this. I think it has something to do with that push rod attached to the head. I have one of the old style ones though.

stockae92

Enlightened
love my X5T HA as well

don't forget to point him to the direction for some cheap CR123A

or get a 2AA 3W light with some NiMH rechargeables :)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you keep your nephew supplied with batteries though. I like my X5 for some purposes, but if he goes to a local store and finds out it costs $10-15 to refill the light once or twice a month (for locally bought lithium 123 cells), he may have 2nd thoughts about the light.

-Keith

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
He already knows about Cr123's, part of the reason I picked that particular light. He is also a budding photographer, and has several cameras that use them. He buuys them in bulk online.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Havand, sounds like you have a defective unit.

My X5-HA is going as strong as when I first got it. I've had more problems with SF lights than with my X5.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wanting an X5, how would I know if I'm getting the latest Nichia version?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a Guy! ...I have one, but only use it to blind people with ....in the day time! :laughing:

Supernam

Enlightened
I just picked up an X5 in black, great light for the dollar. I like it's small size and long runtime. I was thinking about an X1 also since it's low priced and uses widely available AA's, but I wanted a little more output.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting coincidence, I also gave away my X5T (old Nichias) a few days ago to a coworker who did me a pretty serious favor. I packed in a bunch of semi depleted batteries for good measure.

I bought the X5 to burn down used batteries, but I never found myself using it. I can use my EDC60 for that purpose, if I ever get around to it.

While the X5 is nicely made, it is somewhat obsolete.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wanting an X5, how would I know if I'm getting the latest Nichia version?

Best way I know for positive is if it comes with a lanyard instead of the belt sheath, it is definitly a new version.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
dlrflyer said:
Lee1959 said:
Best way I know for positive is if it comes with a lanyard instead of the belt sheath, it is definitly a new version.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the old version had a fluted body. The new version with the Nichia's is octagon in shape.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken, I think the old version had a fluted body. The new version with the Nichia's is octagon in shape.

The fluted body is serveral version back. The version prior to the latest incarnation looked exactly the same as the new, at least to my eyes, and I have not heard of any external changes. So the only way I know to be sure is the lanyard. Most Targets by now will have ran through the old stock I am pretty sure also.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
The fluted body is serveral version back. The version prior to the latest incarnation looked exactly the same as the new, at least to my eyes, and I have not heard of any external changes. So the only way I know to be sure is the lanyard. Most Targets by now will have ran through the old stock I am pretty sure also.
I stand corrected. Thank you!

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:

Thanks Lee! I did notice that some have the company name on the rubber boot, some on the silver ring around the boot.