Various Led Questions

bazza

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...

Im a bit of a newbie to the world of led Torches and i have a couple of question if someone acan help me out. I live on the west coast of Australia and i guess its just supply and demand but the world of led technology seems to have escaped us down here. I have owned a couple of small multi led torches and they have been ok i guess but really little more than a novelty.

I recently purchased an ALX-553N which i am very impressed with although i agree with other postings on this site about the drive circuit high to low and also the lack of momentary opperation is a bit of an oversight. The basic design of the 553N appears to be the same as the 4 c cell version though mine has a NI-MH 4xN rechargeable pack this gives about 1.5h high 3.0h med 6.0h low and 3.5h flashing. I believe it uses a 5w V led. The brightness is fantastic and all levels are very uniform and the pattern is great at all levels. I have a question about beam pattern. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with reflectors or complete heads to tighten the pattern more than the orriginal head, If this is possible.

I also have a 6d maglite and would be interested in a conversion to led if possible.

Any recomendations on one of the cheapy chinese made e-bay type led torches. I am looking for the tightest beam possible with long range being the main aim. I am looking at using this torch for hunting purposes in conjunction with high a magnification rifle scope.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Bazza.............

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
bazza said:
...I also have a 6d maglite and would be interested in a conversion to led if possible...
Many, many conversions to LED are possible with 3-6d M/\Gs, using both single or multiple LEDs. Many of them do not cost an arm and a leg, either.

I'm no modder but IsaacHayes built a 3C M/\G for me with a CYAN 3 watt Lux emitter that I am very happy with. I mention it as this type of conversion is inexpensive and the resulting light has an extremely tight beam that uses the existing reflector.

There are also quite a few off the shelf LED "drop-ins" out there for these lights.

Lots to check out!

bazza

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any coments on the turbo head reflector and also if it may be suitable for the ALX-553N. Also is it available as seperate item.

Also any specific mods available for the 6D maglite to led, looking for the longest throw possible.