Would my fog chamber be of any use testing flashlights?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I've constructed an impromptu fog chamber, consisting of the Ultrasonic misting core from a Discovery Channel store misting fountain placed inside a 2.5 gallon fish tank with glass lid, i've been using it to test the corrosion resistance of some of my knives, i'm currently waiting for a source of small steel samples from my favorite knife company, it may or may not work out, in the interim, i was wondering if i could put it to use testing the water resistance of flashlights....

mchlwise

Enlightened
:sssh:

It might be useful for looking at beam patterns in flashlights.

I've got an outdoor patio fireplace. Once when I was outside at night, I was shining the beam through the smoke for fun. I found that when I got the light in the base of the column of smoke, that the smoke showed the pattern of the beam very well. I've experimented with a few different lights, looking at the beam profiles. It works well enough to see how some reflectors bounce the light; some bounce from the led emitter into an x crossing over before continuing on in the beam. Very interesting.

I've considered taking pictures for reviews of lights, etc., but the constantly moving smoke makes it challenging.

A fog chamber might work quite well.

mchlwise

Enlightened
MacTech said:
beamshots should show up brilliantly

Looks perfect. Just set a flashlight in the bottom (or even hanging from the top) so the beam is vertical, then take a picture from the side - thus showing the "cross-section" of the beam.

:popcorn:

Simple Man

Newly Enlightened
Mac, you're a riot, I love it, have fun. :lolsign:

(you'll have to move onto watches next.......):huh:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'd sure like to see some beamshots in the fog

in the fog
thor4.jpg

more here http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/mdocod/pea soup/

in the snow
sideview4sec.jpg

more here http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/mdocod/snow beams/

yea... it's FUN!!! enjoy!

Any Cal.

Enlightened
You might test lights by putting a target on one side, and the light on the other, in order to see how well lights penetrate the fog. It seems like the times you need a flashlight outdoors are when it is nasty. There is a big difference between illuminating an indoor area and an outdoor one, esp. in bad conditions. That may qive you a way to quantify the difference between different light sources, colors, and reflectors.