Fenix Lights

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
Other than battery life, Why would anybody buy any Fenix Light other than the magnificient P1 ???????? Cost cant be a reason here because the P1 isnt that expensive......

Thehappyman

vic303

Enlightened
Because I have a bunch of AA NiMhs and no RCR123's. That's why I have a L1P.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us like lights which use more common AA or AAA batteries (and use nimh rechargeables which are less touchy than Li-ions). Fenix pioneered the first relatively low cost production 1W Lux light which could get good output out of 1AA. Fenix now has many competitors but few match the Fenix's efficiency squeezing light out of all types of batteries.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
They deliver a lot of bang for the buck. They're bright, regulated, and HA. They're good performers for a very wide variety of applications.

josean

Newly Enlightened
thehappyman said:
Why would anybody buy any Fenix Light other than the magnificient P1 ?

In my country (Spain), a CR123 battery is difficult to find. You can find on specialized photo stores at very high prices.

You can find such batteries at Eroski (a commercial chain simmilar to Wal-mart) and it costs 6.68 Euros (8.35 USD every single cell).

So, here (and maybe in other european countries) the best option is to use NiMH AA batteries.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
Good Reasons, all....... But is the P1 the brightest Fenix light ????? Thats the only one I have.

Thehappyman

mchlwise

Enlightened
:huh2:

I don't think I understand the question. Is the question:

1) why Fenix over JetBeam/Huntlight/Ultrafire/everyone else?

or is the question

2) Why would anyone want a 1W Luxeon compact very bright little flashlight that runs on a single AA?

If it's 1) - I don't know. Personally, I prefer JetBeam and will be buying a secong shortly, but they're more expensive than Fenix and Fenix has U.S. dealers.

If it's 2) - I just really don't know what to say. The reasons such a light would be desireable seem quite apparent and many have been set forth already in this thread. :candle:

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
happy - brigtest is not always better

No, brightest isnt always better........ what is best is in the hand of the beholder....... :) :) :)

Thehappyman

amanichen

Enlightened
Why I bought my Fenix L2P:

Reasonably bright (I don't care about the lumen output to the third decimal place, it's bright enough for my real world uses.)

AA cells (People who go through 123s as if they were M&Ms won't ever understand this ;) )

Good regulation (mine runs full brightness for four hours on 2500 mAh NiMHs. This light has made me highly allergic to non-flat runtime graphs.)

Cheap (When I purchased it, nothing in the price range could touch it.)

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I have a Fenix L1P and L2P that I bought when they first came out last year. I like them because like most have already said.....uses readily available AA's and they both have clickie switches (which I love). I have a Fenix P1 coming as we speak but now I'm looking for rechargeables for it and whether I should go with 3.0v or 3.6v. Not to happy about it but I have a few lights which are going to be needing cr123 bats so rcr123's will come in handy.

carrot

Flashaholic
Personally my favorite light is the L2T.

Part of it might be attributed to winning the Luxeon lottery bigtime with it, a beautiful creamy tint that is easily mistaken for "pure white" on both high and low.

It is also as bright, if not brighter than the P1, and while it is a 2AA light, it is very comfortable to grip and use, not to mention carry. Oh, and did I mention I love dual-stage lights?

vtt

Newly Enlightened
my reasons for going with the L2T and L0P are:

1. the use of common aaa's and aa's ,lithiums are pretty easy to find here in israel but prices are too high and i dont like their short fuse when pushed or mixed.

2. light output and tint are both good.

3. i can get it online and shipped to israel in a reasonable price (4sevens).

Culhain

Enlightened
My local store has CR123s priced at $9.95 each; AA lithiums are 4 for $9.95.

For work, when I carried a one cell CR123 light, I also carried an Inova X1 for close up reading of instruments, gauges etc. Now I carry just the Fenix L1P and find the output adequate for my needs.

Please forgive me for saying this, but I use my flashlights as tools and many of the best and brightest are not tools that I need.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
thehappyman said:
Good Reasons, all....... But is the P1 the brightest Fenix light ????? Thats the only one I have.

Thehappyman
Ummm.... to me, it's pretty much a toss-up between the P1 (on a Primary) and an LxT head driven with 3v. I have 2 LxT heads. One has a tighter spot than my P1, hence, brighter in the spot when driven with 3v, be it a 3v (pirated)Lithium cell or 2 AA's, Lithium or NiMh. The other head has a broader spot, maybe not quit as bright but appears to 'put out more light' than the P1. It's my favorite head and sits on my L2T body driven with 2 Duracell 2650 NiMhs.
Case in point: My two brothers and I were showcasing our lights.. shining them across a field with a few trees and the like, and every time I brought out my L2T they went ....ooooou! We were only using lights of that class, cept for a LED MagLite Spotter! :)