PT switchback headlamp

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Saw it in a local store today. Have anybody actually have use one and can comment on it? Especially on its light output. It claims the output is 7W! Here's my brief observation for those havn't seen it. It's a hybrid LED/incandescent headlamp. 3 LED and a bi-pin bulb in a focusable, faceted reflector. The reflector is a bit larger then a typical PT headlamp. Have a choice between 2AA and 4C battery pack. There were rumors that the LED is brigher then the Matrix. However, it stated in the box that a the runtime on LED is 40+ hours, with 2AA. That's the same as what it said on PT Matrix. So I assume that the output is the same. Can somebody confirm this? One thing interests me is both the bulb and the LED can be powered by either the 2AA pack and the 4C pad. So they probably use a regulator for the bulb, which is good.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chuen, would you tell which shop carry it, Mongkok, Apliu street or else where?

By the way, I got information from Princeton tec on June last year as followings:

The Switchback will have three light options LED, low output, and high output dual filament bulb. You will be able to run the light off two separate battery supplies a 2AA option housed in the body and a external 4 C cell pack. When using the AA batteries you will be able to run the LED's or the low output portion of the dual filament bulb. With the C cell pack you will be able to run all three options. The way the light is going to switch between light options will be with a waterproof four position push switch ( LED, Low output, High output, off). When the 4 C cell pack is in use it will override the 2 AA batteries and we are utilizing a DC to DC converter similar to the one found in our Matrix. The rating on the bulb is correct. The Switchback will also be waterproof to one atmosphere (33 Feet) the external C cell pack will be waterproof too.
UNQUOTE

Thanks.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
I saw it in Overlander in Tsim Sha Tsiu.It's a backpacking equipment store in 2/F Silvercord center. But the price seems to be a bit high. $680 if I remember correctly.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuen:
I saw it in Overlander in Tsim Sha Tsiu.It's a backpacking equipment store in 2/F Silvercord center. But the price seems to be a bit high. $680 if I remember correctly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, US$87? It's 45% more than I could get from IMO where sell at $60.

I didn't know there're a backpacking shop there while I know a shop there sell A LOT of North Face stuffs. I should be there to check it out anyway. Thanks.

Alan

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone confirm whether the Switchback uses 2 or 3 LEDs? I've been checking, and some sites say 2, others 3..

I really like this light, and am tempted to get one, but if it is only 2 LEDs I may go for the Matrix instead..

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

you could always go matrix and put 4 more LEDs in...
smile.gif
my mod gets hot though, I think it would greatly benefit from a thermal epoxy as discussed in another thread..
http://carbon.sbco.com/PT_lightmod/

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really interesting mod. I saw your page previously, but not since you updated it..

The Matrix would be good, but what looks good about the Switchback is that the LEDs and the incandescent lamps are combined in the one unit, so you don't have to switch assemblies. Also, it can be focussed, which is very useful.

However, if I do end up with the Matrix, you can be sure I'll see if I can up the brightness, based on your mod..

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, it sort of came on a whim.. (and a need for MORE LIGHT)
smile.gif
the nice thing is that it can run on either 2aa or 2d batteries. The thing I'm most concerned about now is the heat buildup inside that plastic case. After about 40 minutes of use, the metal contacts inside get almost too hot to touch, no good at all.
I have a petzel zoom that is my next candidate. the head is about 2x larger than the PT lamps, which leaves a ton of room for LEDs and heatsinks. I might do a LS/O / 10LED mod with a switch for flood or spot or both.. and of course the optional external D battery pack.
smile.gif

My primary use is caving and night hiking so its nice to have LONG runtimes with lots of different beam options.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
-3 LEDs

-The voltage to the leds is boosted and regulated the voltage to the lamp is NOT.

-The 4 C batteries are in series/parrallel so its driving off 3V.

-The bulb is a dual filament. Expensive to replace but very cool.

- The High output filament will only run on the 4C battery pack. The LED's and Low output filament will run off either the 2AA or the C pack.

- Did not get a chance to use it so couldn't compare brightness.

- If they come out with a 2C battery case that attaches to the back of the headstrap I'll buy one.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, dual filament? That's very cool - I wonder if you could rig it to be able to use the high output filament off the 2AA battery pack. I know runtime would probably be very low, but might be a handy option to use with the LEDs.

Any idea how good the focussing capability is? Does it allow you to focus the LED light at all?

I'm really interested in this one, although its a shame it doesn't have the same waterproof rating as other PT stuff (33feet opposed to the usual 2000feet)

Graham

snake

Enlightened
hello Cheun & Alan
we now have 3 HK guy here !
Cheun if you paid over HKD600 ,
I recommend Black daimond Space age , only $4XX (I forget) at backpack shop open by the guy concour Himalaya, Garden st near Hospital opposite to jockey club

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Previous quote: I'm really interested in this one, although its a shame it doesn't have the same waterproof rating as other PT stuff (33feet opposed to the usual 2000feet)

Graham

If PT lights finally have a simpler one-hand on-off push button switch rather then the tight waterproof turn-the-bezel-using-both-hands switch, it may be worth getting less waterproofness in return. I suspect many (although not all) of PT's lights are not the kind that deep water divers use and depend on when they're at 1000 ft of total darkness. Just IMHO

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pics of this thing? Or do I need to fly to Hong Kong to see one?
grin.gif
frown.gif
shocked.gif
There's no info on the PT site.

How are the LEDs and incandescent bulbs merged? Like the Surefire A2?

Please tell me they're taking the Aurora route for brightness
wink.gif
, and not the Matrix route.
mad.gif

This one sounds really interesting.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I found a pic. I still can't make out the LEDs though.

switchback.jpg

Hmmm. rei.com says 2 LEDs, adjustable focus, switch somewhere (where?). No mention of dual filament incandescent. Says 5 lighting modes, but doesn't say what all of them are.

I hope they designed a special reflector for this one. If you just vary the filament height in a Tec 20 reflector, you just get an out of focus beam. Not what I would call "focusable".

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got a reply back from a guy at Princeton Tec, confirming that the Switchback uses 3 LEDs, not 2. He said that in LED mode it is equal in brightness to the Matrix LED module. (although some people say that isn't too bright)

However, someone here (can't remember who, put up your hand if its you..) posted some pics of a Matrix LED module disassembled, and there was a way to adjust the brightness in it. It'd be good if the Switchback had this too.

Looks like I may have to order one and find out..

Graham

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graham,

Thanks for the info. It was Haribante who did that, but he was using an older module that had an adjustable pot. The new ones don't have a pot.
frown.gif

I don't get it. If the brightness is adjustable, why not include a higher output LED option like the Aurora? Oh well. It looks like if I stick with PT I have to switch to AAA batteries to get a brighter light??? Am I missing something???????????

Sorry for the rant. No point in dredging up the Attitude vs. Matrix controversy again. At least the incandescent options still sound good.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snake:
hello Cheun & Alan
we now have 3 HK guy here !
Cheun if you paid over HKD600 ,
I recommend Black daimond Space age , only $4XX (I forget) at backpack shop open by the guy concour Himalaya, Garden st near Hospital opposite to jockey club
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spaceshot doesn't my requirement that well. For LED, I think 3 LEDs is just right around camp, single LED might not be sufficent in many situation. For situation that I need incandescent lamp, I prefer brighter one. Spaceshot supports 3 bulbs - 4.5v/0.25A/0.5A/0.715 (long life, bright and super bright). With 4.5v/0.715A superbright halogen, it lasts only 2.5 hour with 6AA. Vortec with 4AA NiMH and Maglit 3D bulb will last more than 1 hour but at least twice as bright.

SwitchBack seems fit my needs both in LEDs and incandescent lamp. The C cells it uses is the only obstacle that block me from getting one immediately.

The shop you mentioned is a very good one and I am a VIP member of the shop (20% discount on purchase). They also have a branch on Shanghai Street.

Alan

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
Graham,

Thanks for the info. It was Haribante who did that, but he was using an older module that had an adjustable pot. The new ones don't have a pot.
frown.gif

I don't get it. If the brightness is adjustable, why not include a higher output LED option like the Aurora? Oh well. It looks like if I stick with PT I have to switch to AAA batteries to get a brighter light??? Am I missing something???????????

Sorry for the rant. No point in dredging up the Attitude vs. Matrix controversy again. At least the incandescent options still sound good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Sad to hear that the Matrix modules aren't all adjustable. I was thinking that if I got one, I could make it brighter. Ah well, so much for that idea.

Now I just have to find somewhere which has the Switchback at a decent price. REI have them at $79
shocked.gif
Karst Sports have them for $59.95, but their online ordering system won't let me put in a non-US shipping address. I sent them an email to see if I could order, but no reply yet.
If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable place which will ship a Switchback internationally (other than REI), I'd like to know..

Graham

funk

Enlightened
Alan,
I guess that you could use 4 lithium AA rather than C cells - much lighter and I think that you would be able to get similar burn and brightness? I am not sure if they would fit right either.