The McLux Will Blow You Away!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys...hang on for a great ride!

When you get the McLux`s that will be sent out in the next week or two, your lives will be changed forever. What a GREAT flashlight it is!

Sorry to yell the word "great", but it really is a spectacular work of art.

The Gods in the heavens have smiled on me for some fortuitous reason, and I was fortunate enough to get a "salt and pepper" set of McLux`s from Don "McGizmo" McLeish today. That`s right...both an EN and an HA. An undeserved double sneak preview, if you will.

The flashlights are perfect in every way. Fit and finish couldn`t be better, and the light emitted is truly nice.

Please understand that I`m a big fan of really bright flashlights, with as much "throw" as possible. I`ve read through the threads on the McLux several times, though, and I decided that I had to give the McLux a try.

I will always continue to admire and buy the brightest lights around, such as Peter`s legendary Arc`s, but my flashaholic whims and fancies will also now forever include the more subtle, but equally impressive, McLux.

The skunks are telling us the unvarnished truth when they try to point out that a quality flashlight like the McLux, with its "flood" beam, is a really a handy light to have and use.

When the McLux is turned on, it immediately lights up a huge area, and with a bright but not distracting beam of uniform light it lets you
clearly see everything you`re looking at. A "panoramic" view, if you will, as opposed to the inherent tunnel vision of a light with a longer throw.

In the real world, for instance, with the McLux I can light up the entire side of a room and quickly concentrate on the objects that I`m looking at, while with other brighter "throwing" lights I spend the first part of my time staring at the hotspot of the beam, and then moving that tight beam around trying to focus on the objects I`m after.

I`m also finding that the McLux is one of those beautiful flashlights you like to just keep on you or by your side... so you can keep picking it up and caress it. (I know...I know...only us flashaholics would ever understand that bizarre behavior!)

The McLux is now forever a part of my EDC, along with my Arc LS`s, Arc AAA`s, Don`s E1e/1w cyan mod and my Surefire E2e/C2 bezel mod. (Yes...yes...I do have a lot of pockets.)

Members of the Skunk Works, I salute you for a job extremely well done. You`ve created another legendary "must have" flashlight...the beautiful McLux.

smile.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
What an auspicious day for SkunkLights! Our first review. Wow!

Thanks Mr. Carp. I was trying to come up with something profound, or at least mildly entertaining to write here. But I didn't want to cheapen your lovely praise, so I'll just shut up. Not often that happens, so you should be proud!

grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmm...you're right Darell, this is a review. Off to reviews section it must go. Follow via link by your name.

move.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok we're back...get the whole story here

And just so you don't miss out on anything...

Originally posted by McGizmo:
Carpe,

Thank you for the kind words!
grin.gif
I hope you find the McLuxes to be useful tools for those tasks close at hand. When you need to reach out, I reckon you might have another tool or two for that as well.
grin.gif
icon15.gif

If you ever run out of pockets, we can always set you up with a quick belt clip carry:

cell-beltclip.jpg

The stainless "button" also allows for storing the light in fixed mount settings (Mic holder):

Mic-mount.jpg

At any rate, thanks again Carpe Diem, kind sir!

- Don
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Darell

Flashaholic
Bart -

Just in case Don never finds this thread again...

The "clip" part is a standard cell-phone swivel clip. The button he created out of a 1/4-20 panhead screw and a spacing collar. Slick, eh?

The mount on the dash is a standard microphone mount (accepts a similar-sized button found on the back of HAM and CB mikes.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Ah, thanks Darell.
grin.gif

I've never felt the need for a cell phone, so I never really looked at accessories for them...
yellowlaugh.gif

Yeah, It's a very slick idea.
cool.gif
I can't wait to get my hands on a McLux to fiddle with all the possibilities...
grin.gif

I wonder what's keeping Leo...
icon3.gif
tongue.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DrGwat...

I would say that as far as "brightness" goes, the hotspot of an Arc LS2 is at least 3-4 times brighter than the McLux. (I don`t have an LGI to compare the McLux to.)

They`re two different, but complimentary, types of flashlights, though.

The McLux beam casts a very wide and soft-looking beam that can cover the entire side of a room...and without being very noticable can let you clearly see all of the objects located on that side of the room.

The Arc LS, though, is much brighter, and has a tightly focused beam of light (or at least a tightly focused hotspot) that can project out, or "throw", its light much farther than the McLux. The Arc LS, though, because of it`s more focused beam, cannot "flood" a wide area with light like the McLux can.

In "Second Amendment" terms, it`s somewhat like the difference between using a shotgun and a rifle!

Both are really great lights, and I now carry both every day for the very reasons described above. Each one has a separate function that it performs extremely well.

Hope this info is at least of some use to you.

Best wishes!

smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by DrGwat:
Regarding brightness, how will the TK McLux compare with an Arc LS or LGI?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As Carpe points out, this is a difficult comaprison. The McLux and LS push out a comperable number of photons. If you were to equip the McLux with the NX05 optics, the beams and brightness would be quite similar. With the stock flood in place in the Mclux, the light doesn't _appear_ as bright, but that's only because the same amount of light is spread out over a larger area. Make sense? Look at the two lights from a steep angle and the McLux will appear brighter. Look at them straight on, and the LS will appear brighter.

The LGI is severely over-driven and is initially quite a bit brighter no matter how you slice it.