Remounting luxeon on a badboy

dangee

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a cyan side emmiting luxeon from dat2zip today along with some other parts (and as usual wayne emailed me just hours after the paypal order and there in the mail allready) and after removing the luxeon i have on one of my badboy 400's install the side emitter on it and put it into the nexstar 2 c cell light. i belive this should give me a tighter beam with the reflector that comes with the brinkmann after some carefull cutting and positioning. this puts me at the point where i will need to use an adhesive to adhere it to the sandwich. must i use a product like artic silver, or can i use a electrically conductive product like "circuit writer" or silicon heat sink compound between the board and luxeon and have the solder lugs hold the luxeon on? this will have plenty of heatsinking like the pic below that that was my first modification.
fcec6c29.jpg

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
dangee,

I would recommend Arctic Alumina. Its thermal properties are very similar to Arctic Alumina and is cheaper.

I'd stay away from and electical conductive stuff ans this could cause slug connection to some other part of the circuits which could lead to undesireable effects to plain blowing something up.

That's at least my recommendations...

Wayne

bcwang

Enlightened
I didn't know the luxeon's were glued on with adhesive. How hard is it to remove the luxeon from the board, do you have to melt the adhesive or does it just pop right off? I always thought the luxeon was just held on with the two solder joints.

Wayne,
Do you recommend the arctic alumina adhesive or thermal compound? They apparently make both. I already have arctic silver II thermal compound but it kinda sounds like the adhesive is what you need for the job.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitters are not glued. Just Arctic Silvered thermal grease. No glue.

Wayne

dangee

Newly Enlightened
thanks wayne. now where do i find artic alumnia?
icon3.gif
all the electronic stores in my area only carry the silicon heat sink compound (like wakefield brand)