Got a new SF L6- initial impressions

Supernam

Enlightened
Hi all,

I bought a brand spanking new L6 and received it today. Wow, the box is big... wait, the whole light is big! From a purely asthetic point of view, the light looks very impressive with it's huge deep reflector. Fit and finish is of the typical Surefire quality. I think that the advent of the crenelated bezel on some of SF's as a defensive tool is a such a gimmick. I feel the huge head of the L6 can bash someone in the head way more effectively than say an E2d can scrape/stab someone.

On the beam... Unfortunately, I have a doughnut in the center. It's not just at short distances, it is noticable from far away too. The color is a good white with no noticible blue or green tint that is typical of many LED's.

I'm running on AW's 17500's and they fit great. I test fired a couple of seconds with the packaged primaries, then put them away in a mini ziplock bag. I'll put them in my backpack when I go camping next month.

I have heard many bad stories about the clickies going bad on SF's, but honestly, I find the clicky very useful and utilitarian. I just went to the mailbox and of course took the L6 out for a walk. I clicked it on, and held it under my armpit as I sorted though the mail for anything interesting as I walked back inside.

I find that on these forums, as new of a member as I am, haven't seen much discussion on the L6. I am curious as to why this is. Is there a reason why it is not as popular as some of the other lights? Additionally, if you have an L6, do you have a doughnut in your beam?

f9 1/60
178283734.jpg

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys:

I got an L6 myself and I think its THE ULTIMATE Surefire LED light... I've got a noticeable doughnut hole on my L6 too. But it doesn't bother me too much.

I use it for camping and other duties around the house. The L6 impresses most in the darkest, can't-see-my-hand-infront-of-my-face situations, its situations like these that you truly see just how amazing the L6 really is compared to other tactical LED lights. That turbo head really comes into its own.

Here's a link that you might find useful:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105935

It appears that in the whitewall beamshot of the L6 - No doughnut hole!:lolsign:

Last edited:

cm048

Newly Enlightened
Congratulation ! SF L6 is a great light, it has even better throw than U2.

L6 is easy to mod. It is very easy to get inside. Behind the reflector, you will see 3 small screws tighten emitter board to the reflector frame, that's all.

Getting rid of doughnut hole is nothing more than changing emitter to joker or simply 0.1 mm spacer between reflector frame and emitter board.

Don't be afraided to try 2x 17500 rechargeable out, almost the same brightness !

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about getting the L6 but got the L5 instead. I've always wondered why there wasn't an adapter to go from the C/P series to the M series so I could put a KL6 head on my L5 body.

cm048

Newly Enlightened
Fusion_m8 said:
Here's an alternative to the SurefireL6: PentagonLight L3
Read the review:

http://photonforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/658102481/m/945109365/r/525102075#525102075

I'm gonna get one to compliment my Surefire L6...
I got the first generation Pentagonlight X2 (in the nice paper box package), absolute impressive for the quality. With a good impression toward Pentagonlight, I just acquired L2. From side by side comparison with first generation X2, machining & anodizing of L2 is not as good as first my first generation X2. For the converter board, it is under-driving Lux3 (can't remember I think 800 mA). The reflector is a bit undersize, I need to replace with McR27. The emitter had green X1 tint which I hated the most.

I originally planed to get L3 for cyan nod, I know it is not apple to apple comparison, but had to slump on brake hard.

I got good experience with L6, good reflector, good converter board, easy access to the emitter / converter board. On the dark side, it might share the same clicky problem as U2 :)