Easy Question From a Noob

sv_ted

Newly Enlightened
If I run a 12v 20W halogen at 14.4v does the current go up by 20%? If so, am I then running 28.8W light? 14.4v*2A=28.8W

Starlight

Enlightened
Next easy question, do you mean run it at actual 14.4v, or do you mean use batteries that are RATED at 14.4v?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starlight said:
Next easy question, do you mean run it at actual 14.4v, or do you mean use batteries that are RATED at 14.4v?

What would this matter ?

Starlight

Enlightened
Actual current flow and actual wattage are based on actual, measured, voltage on the system. Actual voltage in system is almost never exactly what the batteries are "rated" at. Depending on the state of charge of the batteries, type of batteries, and the total load on the system, the actual voltage can be quite different than the rated voltage, high or low.

To try and answer the original question, no the rerating formulas for bulbs are not linear, and it would be less than 20% more light output.

Last edited:

sv_ted

Newly Enlightened
I actually measured the current using a current probe and oscilloscope. When I switched on the light the current spiked to 7A and then settled down to 2A. The battery is rated at 4A continuous so I assume the voltage is not drooping after the initial current spike. 28.8W

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
sv_ted said:
I actually measured the current using a current probe and oscilloscope.

So.. let me ask you a question.. If you have all these equipment, wouldn't it be easy for you to get an user settable power supply and test this yourself ???

The formulas to calculate the power are wel known...

Ra.

Edit: Sorry sv_ted... Let me welcome you to these forums... Here you can find the answers to all your questions!

Regards.

Last edited:

Starlight

Enlightened
Why don't you measure voltage as well as current? If you know both, then you know exactly how much wattage you are putting into the lightbulb. But even if you put in 20% more wattage, you will not get 20% more light output. That is what the bulb rerating formulas are all about.