LED Bulb Request (Custom)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Petzl headlamps and 1 single LED bulb from LEDcorp.

The problem, is that this bulb is nowhere near as bright as a Versalux PR-2 on 2AA alkaline, and is rated for 4.5 volts.

What I am requesting, IF anyone is willing to build them, is put a Nichia White 9200 MCD into 4 Petzl bulb bases. I have 4 standard bulbs that I can mail to the person, so that expense is already taken care of.

This is one LED per bulb. Responses are welcome, preferably from cpfers in the USA.

Thank you in advance.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: I can paypal or send personal check with the bulbs I have. I left the costing thing out of the original post, since those are details to be worked out.

If I had the tools and the expertise to do this myself, I would.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ab! I have to check the PM now. Used to getting email, rather than PM.
wink.gif

I like the way the LEDcorp single LED bulb focuses from tight smooth spot to wide smooth flood. It is just too dimm.

I can't stand the Petzl incandescants: impossible to focus properly.

The only 3 volt Petzl I know of, is the Micro. I have the Zoom Adapter and MegaBelt, both 4.5 volt.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Charles, why only 1 LED? It will run for weeks! For most of my adventures I use the LED option when in camp and have found that 3 LED's works very well, much better than a single LED. I've got a couple 3-led versions in my pretzls and have been happy with it (as happy as one can expect with Petzls... ).

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plinko,

1 LED gives the ability to get both a perfect focus and a smooth, wide flood in Petzls. My petzls are impossible to focus properly with incandescant bulbs.

I have a 3 white LED bulb for 4.5 volt Petzls. While bright, it does not focus (only flood).

I like the ability to focus for throw, and have a bright smooth flood in one bulb. The LEDcorp bulb for the Petzls I have, give a slightly brownish light, and is not bright enough. They either got them from Radio Shack, or they are cheapos from the PRC.

Compared to my Versalux PR-2 bulbs, the brightness of the LEDcorp one stinks. The Versalux is dimmest on 2 AA alkalines and brightest on 2D. It is much brighter with 2AAs than the LEDcorp one I have.

You mentioned that it would run for weeks. That's true. The 9200 mcd white Nichia would be as bright, if not brighter (hopefully), than the Versalux PR-2, which is overdriven (190 milliamps draw). More than adequate for my needs.

Another thing, is that I like long runtimes. If I ever go backpacking again, or get into a longterm power outage, this will suit me perfectly. Also my income source and budget doesn't permit frequent cash outlays for batteries. My monthy income is less than Craig's, but, I don't have rent or utilities to pay (which is why it is less).

This is a matter of personal preference, plus experience with the Versalux in my 3 volt alkaline lights, budget constraints, and seeing how well the LEDcorp single LED bulb focuses in my Petzls.
wink.gif

Ab: PM reply sent to your reply.

Lefselight

Newly Enlightened
I was cruising throught my favorite thrift store a few days back and spotted a headlamp sitting on a shelf. It was kind of dirty (red dust and red mud) and a bit worn, but looked like it was functionally pretty good. It was a Petzl Mega. Price? 80 cents! So I got it home and cleaned it up and it worked just fine. Had the standard bulb in it. A little on the dim side but focused from spot to flood pretty well and the beam was fairly smooth. Claimed run time (after searching on the Web for awhile) supposedly about 30 hours on 3 C cells. Not too bad. So then I go to the REI website to see if they have the high output halogen bulbs. $7.00! Holy c**p! And, of course, the run time goes way down too. LED time! Charles and Plinko mentioned a 3 LED replacement for Petzl. Find it back on the REI site. But...Charles says it doesn't focus and it is a focusing headlamp. Versalux and a dummy cell! Whoops! Versalux, PR base. Petzl, screw base. Now I get it. Maybe I'll try the 3 LED. Good luck Charles, on your project. I will be interested in hearing how your screw base single LED's work in Petzl's. Also, I am pretty much in your camp as far as long runtimes go.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I haven't gone through the mods forum in a while, I just saw this. The ones AB built work just fine. I bought my Mega Belt brand New. So I paid full price for it. The one I got, came with the halogen (battery hog) bulb installed. At the moment, I am using a Zoom Adapter (Zoom that comes with the AA adapter) with one of AB's 9200 MCD Nichia white LED bulbs installed. It took a bit to get the LED centered in both Zooms.

I grant you these are not as bright as a petzl standard bulb. These are for long runtime and decent light output. My idea of decent probably differs from the majority.

I had mine resistored so I could use them with Lithium AAs and they wouldn't overheat.

Ab can take a versalux PR-2 and remount it in the E10 base that petzl uses for its Zoom series headlamps: no lithiums allowed with the versalux (overheat).

PM AB, his prices are reasonable, though Customs may want to keep the bulbs (I never got the first package sent, but got the 2nd one).

Illuminated

Enlightened
Charles,

If you recall some time back, I tested the Sinotone Nightpearl 2-cell PR-based single-LED using 2 new Energizer lithiums and detected only a moderate temperature increase following 15-20 minutes continuous runtime. I think it would be fine on lithiums, though the current does go up a bit with the increased voltage.

I'd be willing to give you one of my two if you're interested. Just let me know.

John

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illuminated;

Note 1: The bulbs AB made are resistored so they can be used with 3 Lithium AAs in series. These custom bulbs are single LED for Petzl 4.5 volt - E10 base.

Note 2: I mentioned what AB can do, as he offered such to me, in our PM discussion.

I prefer to use the Versalux PR-2 bulbs in 2C and 2D applications, like my 2D Mag and Peak 1 headlamp, or comfort grip (2C).

AB's custom bulbs for Petzl 4.5V Zoom series are a different base than PR: E10 screw in, like your #222. I don't need any sinotones.

These are not as bright as the versalux, since they are resistored, but lots better than the LED used by LEDCorp for their similar bulb (I have one).