Help choosing tactical light and vendor

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I will be attending Leathal force institute level 1 in April. Required equipment includes a flashlight. Looking for quality instrument, with disabling output, concealable, but needn't be smallest unit available. While I understand quality comes with a price, a source for such a light with lower than average retail would be appreciated. Your knowledgable and informed replies are appreciated in advance.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

SureFire G2 $50
SureFire 6P $75
Streamlight Scorpion $30

Lsaulog

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sparky,

JMO, but I'd choose a SureFire Light. If you wanted a 2 cell lithium with the most bang for the buck, a SureFire 6P with a P61 bulb is hard to beat. Cost is about $75 or less. A lesser expensive alternative is the SureFire Nitrolon G2. Costs about $50 or less and you can add the P61 bulb to achieve the same 120 lumens. In either case, overall length is 4.9 inches.

A good 3 cell lithium would be the SureFire CombatLight Z3. It's about $100 and with the optional P91 bulb, that puts you at 200 lumen. Definitely disabling output at night!
grin.gif
The downside here is, of course, it's a little larger than a 2 cell. 6.2 inches.

My EDC is a SureFire 9Z w/P91 bulb which puts me at 200 lumens.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello new members to CPF.
Sparky. I'm jealous. LFI is top notch. Where is the course being held and what instructor?
Go for the Surefire. 6P or G2 w/P61 LA is very good but what the heck, go for the M2 or M3. After all, you ARE going to a great school, bring a great light. Order extra batts with whatever light that you get, you will need them. www.texastacticalsupply.com www.arizonagunrunners.com www.brightguy.com
All good proven company's

Do not go to Botach.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:

Do not go to Botach.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Botach doesn't sell Surefire anymore.
grin.gif

But they do sell batteries that are near or past there expiration date.
mad.gif

Just don't go there - so i've heard.

ANyway, go to the surefire discussion board and sign up there. There is an old post that nobody has responded to in months. It is called "stopping power" i beleive. The LEOs there have said that you need a minimum of 200 lumens to deter someone. Although it is speculative. But i have found by experience that my E2 can confuse friends when pointed directly at there eyes. But i don't know to what it effect 65 lumens really has on a dangerous, adrenaline pumped criminal.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
being that you are going to train with a hand gun the m2 with its shock isolated bezel and hard andozied finish is the best choice i think.the p60 lamp is very bright at hand gun range,plus with the m2 you get both lamps. you can't go wrong. as for the price and where to get them, ask the other guys they know.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by phred:
[QB]Hello new members to CPF.
Sparky. I'm jealous. LFI is top notch. Where is the course being held and what instructor?

Course will be held in Howell, MI at Howell gun club. I'm under the impression that Massad himself will be the instructor.

Go for the Surefire. 6P or G2 w/P61 LA is very good but what the heck, go for the M2 or M3.

I will sheck out these units specs on the websites. Thanks a bunch for the help!!

After all, you ARE going to a great school, bring a great light. Order extra batts with whatever light that you get, you will need them.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but the lithium 3v batteries are not rechargable, correct? Then the panasonic 3v batteries listed on the Texas tactical are the right ones to buy, and I should buy a few?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sparky,

Take my word for it, once you try Rogers technique, you'll never go back to Harries. That means that I'll recommend against the 6P and G2 lights that have been recommended so much here. Just having Harries as your only option blows, and there's no reason to limit yourself to that if you're looking at the Surefire line. The Z2, M2, and (I think) C2 all provide for Rogers technique, as do their 3-series siblings (Z3, M3, C3). You can use Harries on these lights if you decide you favor that, but you also can check out Rogers technique, which you'll almost certainly favor!

[edit]
I just read Dano's excellent advice that you should pick a light that provides for a hold that the instructor will talk about. However, the M2, etc., *do* provide for the standard Harries technique that everyone with a 6P, Asp, Scorpion, etc. will use. In other words, M2 and the others can do Harries, but only M2/Z2/C2 can also do Rogers.

When I went to LFI, Mas never actually got to any flashlight shooting. However, Mas doesn't appear to be a big fan of Harries, either, and it's almost inconceiveable to me that he isn't aware of Rogers, given how many Surefires are out there.

Bottom line: I'll repeat my advice that you absolutely should get a SureFire light that gives a Rogers option. Top choice (and most expensive) is the M2, then C2, then Z2.

Joe

Size15's

Flashaholic
My personal opinion, based on field-testing, is that the SureFire M2 is likely to be the most expensive 2 cell SF123A flashlight, but you get what you pay for - you get the best.

Leathal...training - you don't want your equipment to fail, and therefore, you should get the M2, because it is the toughest of all 2 cell lights - perhaps one of the toughest, most compact, brightest lights ever.

I bet you don't get economy ammo or knives, and hopefully, you'll be using your light far more often - so why not invest in the best - The SureFire M2.

When using the P61 high output lamp, SureFire batteries (SF123A's) will provide you with brighter white light for longer.

My two pence.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Have ordered the M2 from Texas, and a dozen of the panasonic batts. Not sure obout the 123As, there's not a lot of detail on the Texas site, however the price was right. All have been a great deal of help, thanks for helping me get my equipment settled. Now to find a holster for my PT-145.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sparkey,
You should get a set of SF batteries with the M2, so you'll be able to compare them to the Panasonics. TX
PS Very good choice with the M2, for your use.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sparky:
[QB]....Have ordered the M2 from Texas, and a dozen of the panasonic batts. Not sure obout the 123As...QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sparky,

The Sanyos are perfectly competant lithium batteries, but my own experience (and others') have shown that they are clearly inferor to Duracell ultras and Surefires in terms of run time, especially BRIGHT run time. Whether the difference is significant enough to justify the greater expense is a personal decision, as Txwest has suggested.

I believe Surefire's introduction (at long last) of voltage-regulated flashlights will be a significant advance, especially for folks like yourself who use these lights professionally.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with Ayoob's LFI-1 course, but I wouldn't buy a combat grip light, unless you know the specific grips for that light are being taught. I would, instead, purchase a 2-cell lithium powered light, along the lines of a Surefire 6P (or G2 to save a few bucks) or a Streamlight Scorpion (to save more than a few bucks). Either one will be fine.

--dan

The Wolf

Newly Enlightened
Massad knows about them, he's written about the SureFires several times. LFI is a learn with what you carry course, so you'll learn for the equipment you have.

Have a great time! I've done what was LFI w/out the range work twice, and my wife and I took Kubotan training with Massad, he's one of the real good guys.

/Curt

rycen

Enlightened
IMO Tannersstorefront.com provided ext. customer service and super fast ship,only two days.
G2 48.00 yellow