My first mod!

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Background: I got a Grundig FR200 radio for Christmas. This is the radio that runs on 3AA or a rechargeable batt. pack that is charged with a crank driven generator. In addition to AM, FM, and SW it also has a small light fixture.

Before: While the radio operates for about 30 minutes on 30 seconds of charge, the OEM light lasts about 5 seconds. (The bulb appears to be the same type used in Mini Mag lights). The run time seemed pretty useless to me so I decided to swap the bulb for a LED.

The Mod: The mod was pretty easy. The light fixture pops out with the aid of a coin as a lever. On the back of the fixture are two small metal clamps separated by a plastic wall. To each clamp is soldered a contact wire. The bulb is held in place by running the leads through two small holes in the front of the fixture. The leads are then held in place by friction when the two screws that hold the aforementioned metal clamps in are tightened. To perform the mod I simply unscrewed the clamps, pulled out the bulb and slid the LED leads into the same holes. I didn't even have to snip off the eaxtra lead wire as there was enough space to fold them over. The only real work was to ream out the opening in the back of the reflector to accomodate the LED. This was done by using a pair of needlenose pliers.

Results: The Radio Shack LED gives off a greenish, yellowish, bluish light complete with halo but it is more than adequate for walking around the house and reading. It has also been running for 15 minutes now with no sign of dimming.

Specs: LED is a Radio Shack White LED with the following Specs. 3.6 Volt/20mA/1100mcd (part number 276-320.

Chris

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that sounds like a real practical mod; very nice. Excellent application for a LED.

Congrats on your first mod, well done.

dangee

Newly Enlightened
Try a nicha led. u could drop in a white 5600mcd or higher for a lot more light. i have found radio shacks led's to be sub par. u should still get good run time from the higher mcd.
icon14.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by dangee:
Try a nicha led. u could drop in a white 5600mcd or higher for a lot more light.
icon14.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm willing to try it. Can you recommend a good source?