Looking for the Holy Grail of LED Lights

Mednanu

Enlightened
Have I been snorting too much barbeque sauce lately in thinking that there must be an LED light that meets the following specs ?

1) Rugged ( thick ) aluminum construction, like a Surefire.
2) A two stage output toggling between 100 lumen and 20 lumens.
3) A Progressive 'clickie' switch ( ie - 20 lumen output if depressed a little, 100 lumens if depressed a lot or 'clicked' full on ).
4) Runs on AA batteries, not CR 123's.

I've tried a Fenix L2T and wasn't really happy with the ultra-thin alumimun used in its construction, the seemingly delicate head assembly, or the rather low output compared to an L4, but in terms of many of the other features, it came very close to what I was looking for.

The Surefire L2 also came darn close, but didn't have a clickie switch and doesn't use AA's. I'd compromise my features list and go for it if I knew I could get a two-stage clickie and rechargeable ( protected cell ) CR123's in the thing.

Anybody have a recommendation on what might fit the bill above ?

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mednanu:)

I don't understand how the clickie should work.
Low only as momentary, high as momentary and after the "click" high constant? So you can't run the light in low mode constant without a little push on the cklickie?

Best regards

____
Tom

Mednanu

Enlightened
Long John said:
...I don't understand how the clickie should work.
Low only as momentary, high as momentary and after the "click" high constant?

Pretty much like an L2, except it clicks and stays on at the high end of the switch's travel. Low would be accessed by pushing the switch part way, as it neared the upper-half of the switch's travel it would go into high mode. It could then be latched on 'high' by pressing it the rest of the way until it clicked.

Actually, if someone has modified an L2's switch into a clickie type switch and has found that it's battery tube is wide enough to take protected, rechargeable R123's, I'd forego my AA battery requirement and just get that setup. It's like Surefire came so close with the L2, then dropped the ball just before making the near-perfect dual-mode mini-light.

Last edited:

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
The L1 switch has 2 levels of push for momentary dim and bright, and you twist it in for perminate dim or bright, or twist it out to lock off. It works pretty well.

In fact if the L1 was 20/100 lumens instead of 1/20 it would be close to what you want. 100 lumens is quite a lot for an LED so I'm not surprised if there isn't anything that can do that and also do everything else you want.

Personally I'd rather have many more levels. I'd love a U2 with a 2-stage tail switch in addition to the 6-stage ring selector.

Brangdon said:
The L1 switch has 2 levels of push for momentary dim and bright, and you twist it in for perminate dim or bright, or twist it out to lock off. It works pretty well.

In fact if the L1 was 20/100 lumens instead of 1/20 it would be close to what you want. 100 lumens is quite a lot for an LED so I'm not surprised if there isn't anything that can do that and also do everything else you want.

Personally I'd rather have many more levels. I'd love a U2 with a 2-stage tail switch in addition to the 6-stage ring selector.

He's looking for an AA power source. The L1, of course, is CR123.

If you can get your hands on a Fenix SS L1+ (stainless steel version) it might fit the bill, if you can get by with one level of output. Very thick walled steel and removable, exchangeable LE.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Mmh, I dunno, but doesn't McGizmo make nice things like these?
if you can drop the clicky, a Raw Orb NS is very nice as well, but ti doesnt use AA's either, so that would be good.
Why the AA powersource?

Spade

Newly Enlightened
The switch as you describe would be nice.

I own the L1 and L2, and both are awesome lights. I purchased them because two-stage output is important to me. I strongly prefer the L2 over the L1, and I would recommend it to anyone.

One other thing you might want to consider is post purchase support and warranty.

Tremendo

Enlightened
100 lumens off of AA is pretty tough, unless you get a bunch of them. My MillerMods L1P is 1 AA and probably gets about 45 real lumens out the front (much brighter than standard L1P), and with the 2 stage it drops down to maybe 5 lumens or so. Being a 1xAA, it doesn't seem as thin and flimsy as the longer L2T (which I also have).

LED Cool

Enlightened
what you are looking for could partially be fullfill by the LiteFlux LF1.

the LF1
uns on AA or 2AA (alkaline, NimH, 14500 Li-Ion)
has 2 stage output (but not 100 lumens)
has a progressive true clickie switch
Fine sandblasted HA III aluminium construction but not thick tube

the popular method of button operation preferred by CPF members is the

constant low with momentary high mode (unscrew 1/4 turn)
i.e. you can press the button lightly for low, press further in for high and click for constant low.

there are also another 3 modes available simply by turning the tail cap.
Always high (fully tightened)
Always low (unscrew 1 turn)
lock out (unscrew 2 1/2 turn)

the LiteFlux LF1 is not the holy grail of LED lights, but it partially meets your requirement.:)

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
I don't own any of these, but having spent far too long on these forums instead of working, I'll make a suggestion based on what I've read:

The LF1 above almost has the switch you're talking about, except it will go to constant low with temporary high when used the way LEDCool described. (I would have thought this would be more practical personally). Twist to turn constant-on. Only puts out 40-45 lumens. Maybe upgrading the LED with one of the ones 4sevens is selling now could bring you up to 80, but I haven't heard of anyone trying this on an LF1 yet.

What about the HDS EDC series? It takes a single CR123, but can take protected or unprotected cells, so another $25 could set you up for years of free light.
The Ultimate 60 (ie 60 lumens) is on sale - $125. The switch works differently to how you describe, but with similar functionality I think: single click on - single click off. Once on, hold the switch for High, or double-click-hold for constant on. On the Ultimate, the same switch is used to access any of 4 programable brightness levels, strobes, program settings etc.
Apparently there's an 85-lumen version coming out. That's pretty close to 100!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Maxlite AA that is absolutely fanastic! It runs on a AA, has two levels, and is a twistie with momentary switch. It isn't as powerful as you want buy this light is something else. I have it in my pocket right now, it is amazing how much light this custom light can put out!! Almost forgot, it's built like a Sherman tank and is overall built as good as any light out there IMHO!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are tough specs, especially the switch.

Take a look at Electrolumens' My Little Friend.
http://elektrolumens.com/LittleFriend/LittleFriend.html

1) Rugged ( thick ) aluminum construction, like a Surefire.
Too heavy for a small light
2) A two stage output toggling between 100 lumen and 20 lumens.
200 & 70 lumens, 20+ minutes hi & 1 hour lo NiMH
3) A Progressive 'clickie' switch ( ie - 20 lumen output if depressed a little, 100 lumens if depressed a lot or 'clicked' full on ).
off-lo-off-hi-off
4) Runs on AA batteries, not CR 123's.
AAA (NiMH preferred)