dimensions of various parts please...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ok, i have a great idea for a custom light, but in order for me to draw it out more accurately, i must have diemensions of various parts, as i don't have the tools to measure accurately. the more accurate you answers, the better.

i don't want to go into any detail about this possible light yet, because it is an idea i have never heard anyone talk about before, but has been floating around in my head and really won't leave. it honestly keeps me awake at night...

anyway, some of the products i need dimensions for...
-nx-05 optics
-123 battery

also, i would really appreciate thread information for products such as the kroll, arc ls, e2e, and mclux (i understand some of these are the same)

all of these measurements should be in inches please. thanks for all your help guys, i really want to say more, but am holding back in case this ever becomes a reality.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah... Roth, how sad, no one answered your post since it got pushed down so fast... I will help where I can. I only have a vernier calipers, so... measurements can only go that accurately. I don't have everything, but what I have I will measure for you.

Mcflood Reflector (At the very top): 18.05mm (0.7106')
Mcflood Reflector (At widest): 20.00mm (0.7874')
Mcflood Reflector (At hole for LS): 9.55mm (0.3759')

Mineral Glass from Shoppe (Thickness): 0.90mm (0.0354')
Mineral Glass from Shoppe (Diameter): 22.50mm (0.8858')

Kroll Width (With rubber boot): 18.45mm (0.7263')
Kroll Width (At plastic threads): 15.65mm (0.6161')
Kroll Height (From base of plastic to top of rubber boot): 19.80mm (0.7795')

BB500 bottom PCB (Diameter): 13.80mm (0.5433')
BB500 LS PCB (Diameter): 13.75mm (0.5413')
BB500 (Thickness of the entire sandwich minus the LS): 11.30mm (0.4448')

LS Emitter (Transparent Dome Diameter): 5.40mm (0.2125')
LS Emitter (Bottom with Black piece not the flat part where the leads are): 8.0mm (0.3146')

Whew, that's a lot of measurements.... and calculations....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Kroll threads: 5/8"x28
Battery Tube to head thread (E series, Arc LS, McLux): 13/16"x20
lens cap (E series, McLux): 15/16"x20

Drill size for 123 battery: 43/64"

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow. thanks guys, i really appreciate the trouble you went to for this. i'll draw those up and edit my first post to take out those that have already been answered.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ok, i need some clarification please, nerd, you posted as follows:

Mcflood Reflector (At the very top): 18.05mm (0.7106')
Mcflood Reflector (At widest): 20.00mm (0.7874')
Mcflood Reflector (At hole for LS): 9.55mm (0.3759')"

could you please specify which of these is what way? (height, width, depth) i drew it up, and got a tall skinnyish shape
confused.gif

also, on the ls emitter measurments, could you please specify what you ment about the black piece? i don't really need the dome, but i need the width and depth of the base, as well as the leads.

thanks again guys. all i need now are the dimensions for the optics, and the measurements for the 123. (i need inches so i know how to draw the battery tube)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Rothrandir,
The Duracell Ultra 123 in my hand is .650" in diameter and 1.3485" overall length. The electrical (metal to metal) length is 1.318" due to the plastic overwrap extending around the base of the cell.

I measured an NX-05 on the comparitor at work the other day, and recall a cone angle of 58 degrees (on the money!)included.
Edit- found my last virgin one.
NX-05 front cylindrical dia .696" x .042" long
"flange" .775" dia x .039 thick
"cone" major dia .668"
"cone" minor dia ("eyeball" to caliper:)) .265"
overall length .442"
inside dia for Luzeon dome is about .235" and depth to the inside "ball" is about .183"
Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks for you concern john. i understand that variances in parts cannot be avoided, and that they are often quite prominent, especially in small jobs.

i ordered a lathe the other day and will hopefully get it soon, from there i can start practising and get some sizes done so i can text the parts in a home. i certainly won't make the complete light at first, just "simulation" parts. so far in my design, i have allowed for variances by allowing extra space, and using o-rings wherever possible to both add flexibility to the design and increase waterproofness.

i have most of the parts that i would put into the body on hand, the only things i don't have are the mcflood, the madmax, and the kroll. i'll order them soon enough, and if i don't use them in this project, i can use them elswhere.

i'm sure you think i'm nieve and ignorant
grin.gif
, but i am quite sure of myself, and if i could get proper funding, i would be able to make a unit, or possibly a small run.

hey, if those skunk-people can do it...i can certainly do it
grin.gif

and as promised...here is a draw-up i have made to show you how it could look. (i have intentionally not included inner details, but can assure you i have them tucked safely away on my hard-drive
grin.gif
):
fcb9c57b.jpg

you might not be able to tell, but that black thing under the exploded view is a kroll, it will be recessed in the "tailcap" to prevent accidental switching. i may also inlude holes and such for lanyards and other various things.

please, try to limit your insults.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Rothrandir,

First off, good luck! Pay heed to JMM's comments. It's good to have a goal in mind and it gives direction to one's journey. However, the journey itself may be the most enlightening and valuable experience with the actual destination ultimately not so important. As with life, it's the lessons, sights seen and experiences along the way that mean the most. Have a good trip and I applaud your confidence and willingness to head off on a path still unknown to you.
grin.gif

- Don

PS. Watch the fingers!
tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
is that the way it was with the mclux?
grin.gif

why on earth would you feel compelled to comment on my fingers? i'm the carefullest guy around! :razz:

by the way, if any of you autocadders want something to do...
cool.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
also, on the ls emitter measurments, could you please specify what you ment about the black piece? i don't really need the dome, but i need the width and depth of the base, as well as the leads.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Roth - I've seen many dimentions given in the technical data sheets for the Luxeons at Lumiled's website.. They have pictures and the dimentions listed.

Congrat's on your lathe purchase!
icon14.gif
I'm looking forward to your anticipated creations.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks slick...i didn't even think of that...

asking for answers is easier than looking them up
grin.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened

by the way, if any of you autocadders want something to do...
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't use autocad, but I do use Mastercam 8.1.

I can draw things up if you want.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, that would be great...i hope to have them made eventually and it would really help.

right now i am using corel draw, while it is a good program, it is not intended for this.

i really appreciate the offer, i'll get the images together and e-mail them to you. thanks!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
jeez, thanks nerd, that is just what i was looking for
grin.gif

actually, i need the height of the mcflood also...i suppose you don't have that?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeez, thanks nerd, that is just what i was looking for
grin.gif

actually, i need the height of the mcflood also...i suppose you don't have that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got my dial calipers & just happened to have a McFlood sitting here... It's .450 total height - sorry, I don't do millimeters.
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks slick...i don't do millimeters either
grin.gif

i forgot though, i also need the depth of the flange and the bottom part and the top part...
rolleyes.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Rothrandir,
I think the point has been made but I would like to throw a couple of cents in myself. While doing the testing and early models of my laser fishing rods I found that all batteries are not the same. Brand to brand the diameters will change and for the most part I found that the Energizers with the tester on the side were among the largest of these batteries (alkalines anyways). As for the 123's I don't know about the testers but find the largest batteries and work with thier diameter. Well the best of luck to you sir and may your venture be fruitfull.
Wylie