Pelican L1 disappointment

atm

Enlightened
I recently bought 2 Pelican L1 (1930) lights from Batterystation.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=1930

They arrived in record time thanks to BS's usual excellent service, but the lights themselves are a significant disappointment to me (absolutely no fault of BS!).

The main reasons I went for these little lights was in the belief that being Pelican they would be tough and reliable, and according to their site (as per above link) they are 5.2cm long which means they would have fit perfectly in the spot I had put aside in a 1040 case for a super reliable, all-weather, backup light.

Well, it turns out the Pelican site is wrong, and that they are in fact 6.8cm long, so they aren't suitable for what I wanted anyway. So at least I thought I'd have a couple of small, dependable (see the long list of approvals...) lights I could take bushwalking or leave in the car etc as backups.

It concerned me though that there didn't appear to be any real waterproofing between the lens/window and the bezel (no o-ring). So I quickly dunked one under a gently running tap, and sure enough water immediately got past the lens and was in the light itself. Great.

I disassembled and dried the light, then applied a bit of Nyogel to the inside of the bezel where the lens sits, assembled and tightened it all up and tried again. No better, water still got into the light.

I might see if I can find a suitable o-ring to improve things, but it may still not work. One of the features of this particular torch is the ability to swap the lens between the clear, red or green (plastic) lenses supplied. For some reason (maybe ease of removal) each lens has a piece cut off one side, leaving a flat edge on the otherwise round lens. This edge only just extends beyond the inner edge of the bezel when it's all assembled and I suspect this is the weak point as far as water resistance goes.

I'm a pretty big fan of Pelican products in general, their cases in particular, but based on these 2 examples I don't recommend this light.

Andrew

Edit: I contacted Pelican with the info about their site being wrong when I first posted this, they have replied saying the site has been corrected (which it actuall hasn't as I type this, but no doubt it will be). Their reply was polite and helpful.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I guess it depends on your specific application for them...I've given away "several" of these in the past and the recipients were all pleased with them. I still have one right next to the computer I'm posting at now for a "go to" light in case of power outage.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these. I have found that they are pretty darn bright when used in almost total darkness. They are also very light weight. I like the press on and off tailcap for momentary or constant on. I think for the price they are very handy. Changing batteries is not so simple as other lights but not too complicated either.