is Lux II or V light output higher than 50W bulb?

sprintir

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone

being new to the site this question have allready been asked.

Having used a home made diving light which uses a 50W 51mm diameter dichroic bulb running from a 12V 7Ah lead acid battery for the past 6 years.

I'm considering converting this over to LED I was thinking of the Lux III or Lux V LED's possible using 3 of these leds.

Before going ahead with this mode can anyone tell me if the light output of the leds would be comparable or better than the 50W bulb?

thanks for any help

Sprintir

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
You have got alot of variables there so it is very difficult to answer your question. If you could say what the output of your light is then that is a good start.

MoonRise

Enlightened
In general, nope.

A run-of-the-mill 50w incan will usually be around 500+ lumens. Overdriven, that number can obviously climb higher. (Take a GE Edison MR16 12V 50W bulb and drive it at 18V to get in the neighborhood of 2000 lumens!)

If your original bulb output is indeed around 500 lumens and you want the same level of light output, you'd have to go to 5 W-bin Lux-V or U-bin Lux-III LEDs (unless you want to drive those LEDs reallyreallyreally hard, then you might get in the ballpark with 3).

Remember that 'torch lumens' (actual lumens out of the torch or flashlight) is approximately 65% of bulb or LED lumens. To get 100 lumens out of the torch/flashlight, your lumen source (bulb or LED) has to put out 150 lumens.

Are you trying for flood or spot? Multiple LEDs would have a hard time producing as tight of a spot as a single point source incan filament.

Hey, LEDs have their uses but they aren't the right tool for -every- task.

sprintir

Newly Enlightened
Hi Moonrise

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Thanks for the info it was useful, I was thinking of using a spot only because the 50W bulb is a spot.

I have seen a reflector which enables you to put 3 Lux leds in it this has a 10 Dec beam. So even if I use lux V in this reflector would I have a focus problem?

thanks for any help in advance