Introducing the 5-Watt SGK

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
CPF's very own Slick was the first to post about the Coleman 2AA being a likely candidate for a 5W conversion, what with its capacious battery tube which was held back from hosting three 123 lithiums only by three pesky matching aluminum ribs extruded within.

But I finally got tired of putzing around and took one to a machine shop, told'em to de-rib it at whatever the cost, and stuck in a white 5-watt Luxeon Side Emitter overdriven (as usual) at 9V on three 123 lithiums.

I asked Slick if he would mind me making these since he was, after all, the discoverer. In his usual eloquent and magnanimous style, his very words to me were, "Why Charles, it would be an honor and a delight."

And thus the SGK (Slick Giant Killer) was born.

Here it is in a lineup with different lights so those who have not seen one in person can get an idea of its size:

fcba8010.jpg

In order from left to right they are

Mag 2D
Mag 2C
NexStar 2C
Slick Giant Killer
NexStar 2AA
MiniMag 2AA (w/Kroll switch)
McLux
Arc LS (w/Kroll switch)

but just in case you missed it, here it is up close:

fcba8012.jpg

Rather unremarkable at first glance, a look down its modified reflector reveals a deep and steep design that appears to bode well for 5-watt installation, with area and curvature characteristics seemingly designed with Side Emitter Luxeons in mind.

Here it is compared to a standard MiniMag reflector:

fcba8011.jpg

Look how much more surface area it has than its 2AA brethren. And it's not only wider, but deeper as well:

fcba8015.jpg

And finally, an LLS shot against another 5W white SE in a Maglite 2C, which I might remind you has a significantly larger reflector:

fcba8017.jpg

It seems the age is upon us where even a miniature LED light can exert dominance over incandescents. Giant Killer, indeed.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erh... you can't use this for 5 mins at a go if you run a 5 watter in it right? The rubber will melt, fizzle, burn, smoke, disintergrate... etc....

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! that looks great Charlie!
icon14.gif
I used a Lambertian in mine and can't wait to try the white 5W SE in this light.

Have you taken lux readings from both of these lights? The beam angle appears tighter on the SGK, so I wonder if this would concentrate more light in the hotspot vs. the Mag2C ?

BTW - The Nextar 2AA is going to get a 5W - 3x123 mod if I can complete a removeable pill (for top battery loading), that sinks heak well enough..
grin.gif

jmm

Newly Enlightened
SMALL + BRIGHT = HOT
SMALL + COOL = DIM
COOL + BRIGHT = BIG
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Duh, is this a trick test? There are two acceptable answers and one that isn't worthy of consideration in view of the fact that these creations come from the land of volcanoes. I've got a 6D *ag, so big is only a relative term, and we can always use some extra hand warming gear around here this time of year.

John

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Slick,

I have a pic for you I will post here shortly when I get home (again I type from work).

John,

You wouldn't be trying to get me to do something now, would you...?

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Charlie - I wouldn't think of asking for anything that would interfere with the production of the NexNeedles, honest. But, if you happen to be looking at your calendar and notice some "open" dates in the near future, Madam Pele and a few mortals might might be pleased if you penciled in something "hot".

John

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually it might be "hot" as in "expensive", because I had to pay that dang machine shop to single-point these two prototypes (yes, I have two!).

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Charlie - Good point. I forgot that you have always been able to provide mods with the maximum bang for the buck by carefully choosing donor lights that did not require expensive outsourced machining. It would probably be tough to get a decent price on machining small lots, so sticker shock could put a damper on the kind of popularity your other mods have always enjoyed.

I have a couple of group buy 5Ws and a 30 mm Optic comming, and the thought of trying to stick 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag appeals to me. Maybe it's time to dust off the lathe and make some chips fly again.

John

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
GJW,

I only noticed I had it in the pic now, peeled off the one on the other light, pretty intriguing looking, eh? But it came with the light (although I wonder why the reflector is patent pending -- perhaps because of its exraordinary depth?).

John,

Yes! And we want pics when you're done, too...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, there is no line for this puppy (as of yet). But if there ever is, it would be with the understanding that the light is designed for intermittent use only.

It would appear that at the current state of LED technology, the mutually exclusive formulae would be:

SMALL + BRIGHT = HOT

SMALL + COOL = DIM

COOL + BRIGHT = BIG

Pick one...

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
Nice Mod Charlie (and you too Slick)! I never realized just how small the Coleman 2AA was until now. It's not much bigger than the 2AA NexStar.

-Matt

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah Matt, only problem is the NexStar has MUCH better heatsinking potential -- hmmm, wonder if the heads interchange?