Mag 2D & 3C, what would you do? Suggestions?

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Mag lights, 2D & a 3C. I never use them because the light output is pitiful. What are my courses of action for reviving these otherwise nice lights? I am not averse to chopping or modding in any way. It would be nice if one of them could be converted to a powerful narrow beam if possible with no spill.

What would you do?

Meduza

Enlightened
3C:
You should be able to stuff in six 1/2 C size 850mah NiMh Cells
from batterystation, change the reflector to a aluminium SMO
or LOP and run a ROP HI bulb for that really powerful tight beam.
OR
Use a spacer and 2 LG 18650 Li-ion batterys to make a ROP HI LE
(lithium edition) with the same reflector and bulb as above.

2D:
6AA-to-2D holder, CBP1650's, same reflector and bulb as above

Then there are lots of more bulbs to choose from if you use KIU
socket instead of the orginal socket, but then it does not meet
your condition to not mod in any way, The reflector is a must
to change with bulbs more powerful than ~10w or it melts.

If you want you can run the ROP LOW bulb for (about) half the
brightness and double the runtime, but still lots of light.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I know that a 1/2 D cell is actually somewhat longer than half the length of a D cell. Typically, five 1/2 D cells will occupy the same space as three D cells. Fortunately, five 1/2 D rechargeable cells have a nominal voltage of 6.0 v, which is a convenient voltage for a wide variety of lamps.

I'm not sure if the same logic applies to the C sized cells.

Meduza

Enlightened
One more:
1C dummy battery, pvc tube, three 123A cells and Magnumstar 6 cell Xenon bulb.

Ty_Bower:
A 1/2 D cell is DIA 32.5 mm X HT 36.9 mm while a D cell is DIA 32.3 mm X HT 58.4 mm.
A 1/2 C cell is DIA 25.6 mm X HT 24.0 mm while a C cell is DIA 25.2 mm X HT 49.0 mm

So no, the same logic is N/A on C cells :)

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 3C, you can drop in a MagLED module to get a useful light with a nice long run time.

With the 2D you can use one of the AA-D adapters (3AA-1D, or 6AA-2D) and then use a stock Mag-Num Star Xenon bulb. If you only use rechargeable NiMH batteries, use the 5 cell bulb; or use the 6 cell bulb if you want to be able to use either NiMH or alkaline batteries. The output level will approach that of a Mag Charger. Simple, cheap, and totally reversable. Run time is about 1.5-2 hours.

finebead

Newly Enlightened
for my mag 2D, I just bought a drop in 3w led at Wal-Mart for $19. Very happy with it. Plenty light, long runtime, buld won't burn out.

kubolaw

Enlightened
If you're up to a bit of soldering, get an o-sink from Flashlightlens.com, a k-binned or lower LuxIII emitter from any of our fine vendors here (e.g., TWOK, TWAK, TX1K, UWAK, etc) or a LuxV and replace the incandescent bulb. Drive the LuxIII using 3C (in either Mag) or drive the LuxV using 3x123a, and you'll have a far-reaching light that you will be very happy with. The LuxIII in particular is quite a light saber when paired with the large Mag reflector. Here's a general tutorial for the LuxV version (although the LuxIII process is essentially the same):

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/sn2build.htm

I have given away a number of such mods to family and friends, and everyone has been amazed by the performance and very pleased with the enhanced utility the LED upgrade provides.

John

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're called 1/2Ds and you can generally find them at stores or web sites that deal in various rechargeable battery types. The 1/2D is usually only available in NiCD in North America (generally with a 2500mAh capacity,) but there's some outfit in Oz that is supposedly selling NiMH 1/Ds that have a bit more capacity.

Norm said:
Where can I find half size D's?

Norm

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag 951 I guy on here named juancho will make them...check them out