Power Supply Substitute

KevininPa

Newly Enlightened
Hello there to one & all,
I've received a light for Christmas with a rechargeable battery, and would like to know if
anybody has done a mod so that a regular battery source can be used.The reason I'm asking is because we go rafting and camping for days at a time.The burn time on the light's rechargeable is great for at home but will be terrible on an extended camping trip.
The light in question was purchased from Sportsman's Guide.The body is machined aluminum,and quite sturdy.The name "Mountain Green" is on the knurled handle. The 1st click gives you 3 LED's,2nd click is 6 LED's, final click is a Xenon bulb.
I don't need to know any other mods at this time(Though I'm not thrilled with that cheesy plastic lens,I will accept help with that!).I'm
primarily looking for a battery source that I can tote some spares of.
I know this light was already spoken of in the Forums, but I don't know if mods were made.
If anyone knows where to get spare Xenon bulbs,you can fill me in on that also.
Thank you in advance for all of your assistance.

Kevin in Pa

If you live rural,you can never have enough light.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it possible to remove the battery and use normal alkalines? Maybe you can post a link to a picture in some online store?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ops.... looks like you gotta try this yourself dude... Ever dis-assembled a light before? Try and be gentle and don't break/cut anything and you should be fine....

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the rechargable XenErgy 3in1? If so, I just saw the same light in Brookstone, but it runs on 3-C cells....

al_606.gif

Not exactly the same, the head was slightly different, but definately the same manufacturer. $50...

You would proabably need a body tube extention or something to get it to run off of alkalines.

KevininPa

Newly Enlightened
The light pictured is the one in question.Only mine runs off a 3.6volt/1200mAh rechargeable ni-
cad.C-cells are too thick.

Kevin in Pa

Entropy

Enlightened
Sounds like they might be 2/3A or so sized NiCds... 1.2AH is too high for AA NiCds (not too high for NiMHs tho)

You might be able to pull off some sort of 3AA battery holder, although there might be one problem - The light may be designed around the lower voltage of NiMH packs, Alks might kill the LEDs.

You might be best off with some sort of hand-powered or solar-powered charger. I know there's at least one person on these boards with a solar charger.