Beamshot request- A2

STEP

Newly Enlightened
Can some kind souls plz post some comparison(side by side) beamshots of surefireA2 and Mag 6D or surefire6P so i can see how bright A2 is?
Thanks guys!

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd post a beamshot, but it's not dark enough yet. Just FYI, the A2 is almost as much output as the G2/6P, but it does not throw as far (as my latest testing suggests).

clipse

Enlightened
I thought I was nuts there for a minute. I could not find this thread for the life of me. :)

Here ya go.

Surefire G2 on left, A2 on right.
g2vsa2.jpg

Same as above only underexposed.
g2vsa2ue.jpg

I realize its not a 6P but the G2 and the 6P use the same lamp and should be the same brightness.

Oh, these shots are from about 10 feet away.

clipse

Illum

Flashaholic
clipse said:
I realize its not a 6P but the G2 and the 6P use the same lamp and should be the same brightness.

clipse

According to quickbeam's review, throw is differed for abour 366 units...partially from the difference between lexan and pryex optics, for the most part they use the same bulb / number of batteries and should be same.

not to drift this thread

nice beamshots! :)

petery83

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I'd post a beamshot, but it's not dark enough yet. Just FYI, the A2 is almost as much output as the G2/6P, but it does not throw as far (as my latest testing suggests).

I guess that explains why as a G2 user, I wasn't all that impressed by the A2's beam. It didn't seem quite as bright, and didn't seem to light up distant targets as well. The A2's much more versatile and useful as an EDC than the G2 though!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Got to remember that A2 is regulated, and will hold its output for 50 minutes or so while G2 (6P) will drop in output rather quickly.

Bill

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Illum the nation,

It's not the same lamp. The A2 runs a regulated lamp at somewhere in the 4.5 volt range, (I can't remember the exact number), the G2 runs the P60 LA I believe.

The A2 LA is whiter than the G2 unless it is not functioning correctly or the G2 is on brand new fresh batteries. Then the G2 might be competitive for a few minutes, but after that the A2 will stay whiter and brighter until 45-50 minutes.

Bill

Protaeus

Enlightened
Knight Lights said:
Illum the nation,

It's not the same lamp. The A2 runs a regulated lamp at somewhere in the 4.5 volt range, (I can't remember the exact number), the G2 runs the P60 LA I believe.

Bill

I think he was refering to the G2 abd 6P being close to identical and that the slight deviation in output on FLR could be attributed to the lexan vs pyrex lens.

The A2 is a useful light. I switched to a U2 for a while but had to go back to the A2. Now I just got one with the old style body, SMJLEDs and glow paint behind the LEDS. The LEDS have awesome output! about as much light as my orb raw ns on high but with more flood and less throw! Brilliant! My only regret is that it cannot easily use rechargeables.

batman

Enlightened
the softstart mechanism unique to the A2 also increases the lifespan of the lamp assembly and will keep it as clear as new after inumerable batery cycles if it's like mine. A G2 Lamp Assembly with as many battery cycles as my A2 just might not be as bright anymore IMHO.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running each of the life assemblies will probably degrade the lamps at the same rate. However, the A2 lamp (MA02) the MA02 is less likely to die when you turn it on because of the soft start. The regulation is a wonderful thing too.

The A2 is the jack of all trades, but the master of none. It isn't the brightest, the smallest nor does it have the longest runtime. It can be out-thrown by other lights but what it lacks in output it makes up in versatility. You really have to use the A2 to understand that it can replace 2-3 lights. The A2 has been engineered for utility and it excels in this capacity.

clipse

Enlightened
I believe 'overall' the A2 is brighter than my G2. It lights up my back yard better anyway. Its a great light for what it is. I love it. :)

clipse

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
...the A2 lamp (MA02) is less likely to die when you turn it on because of the soft start. The regulation is a wonderful thing too.

The A2 is the jack of all trades, but the master of none. It isn't the brightest, the smallest nor does it have the longest runtime. It can be out-thrown by other lights but what it lacks in output it makes up in versatility. You really have to use the A2 to understand that it can replace 2-3 lights. The A2 has been engineered for utility and it excels in this capacity.
I got interested in LED lights because of concerns over incans unregulated dimming output and blowing at the wrong time, but the A2 brought me back to incans because it addressed those concerns, then added some low floody LED for good measure. I just get this sinking old Maglite feeling when I look at those dark yellow beams. My A2 cures that.
I still only have an A2 and an ROP though. All my other incans are either unused waiting to be sold, or modded to LED.