Looking for 4.5V r123 and Charger

ghostrider

Enlightened
Someone told me that there were some rechargable 123's out there that could power a P91 LA with two r123's. I was told that J.S. Burly's had them but any attempts at contacting them have been fruitless. I tried the search function in this subforum and didn't find much.

Is this project possible, and if so, where can I get the batteries and charger?

Thanks in advance.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should probably just list what you actually need and let the respondents suggest the type of battery that you might need. I don't think you really have a grasp on the type of battery that you need right now. R123s are all 3.7 V by virtue of their chemistry as are all LIon batteries, though some if the CR123 form-factor are limited to about a 3.2/3.0V output for use with lower voltage applications.

Just list the light that you have, and indicate what you want to do with it and then you can select from the responses.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P91 will draw close to 2 and a half amps on 3 fresh primary lithium CR123A cells and even more than that on a pair of larger rechargeable cells.
Asking a pair of 123 sized li-ion rechargeables to supply that level of current is way beyond safe. Don't do it.
If you must use the P91 with rechargeables then you really need to use larger, higher capacity cells.
The smallest I would even begin to consider for use with the P91 would be a pair of the highest quality 17500 sized rechareables which would fit a 3 X CR123A bodied flashlight.
An even better choice would be a pair of 17670 sized cells (or 18650's if the inner diameter of the tube will allow) in a 4 X CR123A bodied light.

ghostrider

Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I was hoping I could get more performance out of my 6P, but I guess I can live with the P61.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get more performance by simply using a more efficient lamp assembly.
Take a look at the Wolf Eyes 9 volt D26 and the Digilight 9 volt DRB-9VHP the next time you shop for spare lamp assemblies.

I used to use a P61 on throw-away primaries but switched to a pair of 123 sized rechareables and the DRB-9VHP.
I get more light, plenty of run time, and I save the cost of replacing all those throw-away primaries.
What's not to like about that??

ghostrider

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
You can get more performance by simply using a more efficient lamp assembly.
Take a look at the Wolf Eyes 9 volt D26 and the Digilight 9 volt DRB-9VHP the next time you shop for spare lamp assemblies.

I used to use a P61 on throw-away primaries but switched to a pair of 123 sized rechareables and the DRB-9VHP.
I get more light, plenty of run time, and I save the cost of replacing all those throw-away primaries.
What's not to like about that??
Are you saying I can use these LA's in a 6P?

I do have the r123's from AW. Will they work with those LA's?

Thanks a lot. I really do appreciat your help as I've tried finding this info with the search to no avail.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Wolf Eyes D26 and the Digilight DRB-9VHP will fit in your 6P but make sure you order the outer contact spring ($1 extra) for the D26 as it does not come standard with the "Surefire body compatability spring" when you order it.

Both of these will work well with AW's unprotected 123 sized rechargeables and the Digilight bulb will also work with AW's protected 123 sized rechargeables.

There is all kinds of good info about this in the Incandescant section of CPF.
It was discussed heavily between January and late April of this year.
You may want to have a fresh cup of coffee at your side before you start in on all the posts, there's a lot of information to glean over.

ghostrider

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
Both the Wolf Eyes D26 and the Digilight DRB-9VHP will fit in your 6P but make sure you order the outer contact spring ($1 extra) for the D26 as it does not come standard with the "Surefire body compatability spring" when you order it.

Both of these will work well with AW's unprotected 123 sized rechargeables and the Digilight bulb will also work with AW's protected 123 sized rechargeables.

There is all kinds of good info about this in the Incandescant section of CPF.
It was discussed heavily between January and late April of this year.
You may want to have a fresh cup of coffee at your side before you start in on all the posts, there's a lot of information to glean over.
Thanks again. I think you've answered my question. I'm using AW's protected 123 sized rechargeables, so I think I'll go with the Digilight bulb. Thanks also for telling me when the discussion took place. That will make it easier to narrow down when doing the search.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome.
One last thing, if you purchase the Digilight bulb make sure you purchase the more efficient 0.8 amp draw bulb. For a while Digilight didn't have any of the more efficient DRB-9VHP's in stock and were selling a version that draws 1.2 amps. Current stock from them directly is the 0.8 amp bulb.

ghostrider

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
Your welcome.
One last thing, if you purchase the Digilight bulb make sure you purchase the more efficient 0.8 amp draw bulb. For a while Digilight didn't have any of the more efficient DRB-9VHP's in stock and were selling a version that draws 1.2 amps. Current stock from them directly is the 0.8 amp bulb.
Again, thanks. I just figured that out doing some reading in the incan section. Sounds like my best bet is to call Digilight dirrectly and make sure I'm getting the right bulb.