How is the L1 brighter than the E1L?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Flashlight reviews. the overall output of the L1 is 20.5 with the throw being 1460, while the E1Ls' overall output is 20 with the throw being 1350.

Why is that? Isn't it the same head? I really thought the only difference was the 2 stage ability of the L1.

xaman

Newly Enlightened
I thought the L1 was only 1 stage... maybe you're thinking of the L2?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is odd. The KL1 has is rated at a higher output by Surefire than the L1. Maybe it was a typo or the KL1 was a dud and the L1 was a screamer.

I have compared both and the KL1 did win in the output department. It appeared to throw equally with the L1 but it had a larger hotspot.

-Goatee

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
...output of the L1 is 20.5 with the throw being 1460, while the E1Ls' overall output is 20 with the throw being 1350.
Close enough to be luxeon lottery variation.
But I don't actually know for sure if they really are the same head, my L1 does not say KL1 on it anywhere.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 and the KL1 are not the same kind of head. They appear to be the same kind of lens and the same kind of LED.

-Goatee

xaman

Newly Enlightened
Nope the L1 is also 2 stage.

Hmmn -- wow, i'm trying to get all this straight.

So, is the L1 the same exact thing as the E1L, just w/a huge 2 stage tailcap?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 has circuitry inside of the body and if I am thinking right, it is inside the body that the regulation occurs. I have seen a cutaway view of the inside of an L1 and that is where the magic happens. In the KL1, the magic is all inside of the head.

On an L1, if you take off the head, you cannot see the batteries because of the circuitry. This is the same design as the L2.

-Goatee

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
xaman said:
Hmmn -- wow, i'm trying to get all this straight.

So, is the L1 the same exact thing as the E1L, just w/a huge 2 stage tailcap?
No, look on the Surefire website or one of the review sites for more info on the differences. The E1L is just an E1e body and switch with the KL1 head on it, the same head can turn an E2e into an E2L. The L1 is its own 2-stage light with a different body, head, and switch. None of the parts are compatible with teh E series lights. The tailswitch is the same as on the L2 and A2 lights though.

-Keith

lukus

Enlightened
Thanks! I was also wondering if the only difference between the E1L and L1 was the switch just last night. Funny timing on this thread.

Now another question. Does anybody make a 2 stage switch that would work on the E1L? Click once for regular brightness and click twice for just a few lumens and up close work. The L1 is just a little too big for what it does. I have the L2 (love it) and would like a smaller version with a clickie. Twould be nice!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
The L1 has circuitry inside of the body and if I am thinking right, it is inside the body that the regulation occurs. I have seen a cutaway view of the inside of an L1 and that is where the magic happens. In the KL1, the magic is all inside of the head.

On an L1, if you take off the head, you cannot see the batteries because of the circuitry. This is the same design as the L2.

-Goatee
Exactly Goatee! The circuitry is in the flashlight body of the L1 and in the head of the KL1. I actually have my red L1 LED head installed on a 1-cell VG body (direct drive) and love it. It is sooo tiny- it is actually too tiny in my big hands to be comfortable. I prefer my L1 as it fits my hand beautifully and I can engage/disengage the light and lighting levels with one hand.

Luna

Enlightened
put an rcr123a in the e1l and it will perform like you wish. it just doesn't come alive with a single primary.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm seriously considering shipping my 1st gen L1 head to MilkySpit to mod into a UX0J LuxIII barnburner. 60 lumens, 2 stages, in a great small package. What's not to like? It sounds like my perfect L1. Now how do I hide the $ from my wife???

The latest L1 head (TIR) is a great thrower. My son was illuminating people (on high) late one night at a local beach from about 75' or more away. They were sitting at around a bonfire and he was playing with the L1 and accidentally spraying them with the beam. Once I threw on the F04 head the throw was stopped and the beam was converted into a wonderful flood beam.