Battery Drainer needed.... Ideas?

Illum

Flashaholic
My G2 has finished eating through 2 sets of 123As...Im currently using my XO to drain the battery sets [I made sure which ones on top and marked each batch for safety] :huh:

The XO features a regulation circuit and the battery drains to a point where the regulator kinda sits there and let the led emitter dim itself...:huh:

Question 1: Is it recommended to drain the last drops of life from these batteries or should I leave them be after the XO can no longer run them?

Question 2: Will running my regulated light using partially drained [+/-50%] cells harm the regulator?:ohgeez:

Question 3: Any ideas on a high quality cr123A battery drainer that works better than a luxeon? Im thinking of the inova X5:naughty:...but Im fairly certain its regulated also....maybe I need to update my knowledge on lights.:grin2:

Thanks guys!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the batteries in front of the TV and pop "Be Cool" or "Blade: Trinity". That'll drain anything.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
Uh.. if it's that big of a deal you can just send them to me. I'll use them for you. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
ericg533 said:
Uh.. if it's that big of a deal you can just send them to me. I'll use them for you. :)

well, I wanted to conserve what energy is in the lithiums before tossing them out from their warm cozy beds [foam lined containers kept at room temperature] into the streets.:awman:

If you live close by i'll drop them over...but your in arizona so that kinda scrubs that plan:ohgeez:

mailing is kinda dangerous...esp to arizona, still hitting 100s over there? highest it has been is 97 here and thats hot enough:grin2::grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point of a regulated light is that it performs BETTER than non-regulated lights. A partially discharged cell really shouldn't do any damage to the light. If you run a 2xCR123A light way too long, that might be bad (i.e. cause venting with flames), and the survival of an over-discharged NiMH cell is a questionable proposition.

Try a 1xCR123A light, like the P1 or the Inova 24/7. JimH is using a 24/7 as a cell drainer, and has said he was very happy with the results.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Illum the nation,

Check out Milkyspits Milkycandle. It's designed to suck those used batteries dry AND act as a cell tester.

It's in the Homemade/Mods forum.

Bill

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a light which ran one of the SMJLED PR bulbs off a single CR123A. The SMJLED PR bulb is very efficient and will drain a CR123A down to the very end if you can find a way to connect the two.

stockae92

Enlightened
i use X5T HA

they are direct drive and i put CR123A from my dimmed SF P61 into the X5T and it still happy and bright

redcar

Enlightened
Ditto on the X5. To really suck'm dry use them one at a time in the X5-Red.

cy

Flashaholic
ARC LS first run was the orginal cell drainer... any light that supports 1x AA and CR123 will drain a cell dry...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can wait, glo-toob will soon be launching a CR123a version that should make a great battery drainer as well as many other uses. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
thanks for the reply guys.... :wave:

Ill run my XO on old cells, not a problem...:huh:

the Milkycandle Knight mentioned, Sounds interesting...Ill look into it:rock:

I found an extra $20 in the back of my pants and wind up spending it on the cheapest quality light I can find, the Dorcy super 1 watt, that'll help drain some batts also :grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
mmmm, tektite :huh:

something tells me I should make a drainer like milkyspits, but unregulated
seems easy, hook up a couple 3-4.3V 5mm LEDs on there and use it as a single celled area light...now how big of a resister would I have to use... :thinking: