Welch Allyn 10W Developers Kit

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is... $500 for 5 pieces which comes with their own ballast.. 500 lumens per lamp. Option of 6 degree or 13 degree beam. You can't buy them individually...

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in a group buy. I have been eyeing them for a while. There are a couple of lights on my desk begging for an HID mod.

A flashlight with recoil; that's the way I like it
grin.gif

Cheers.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
lamda,

I'd go for one (M10P001/B10N001) They imply an "assortment" or 5 of the same kind may be ordered. Also did you note at the bottom of the pdfs the "conditioning circuits?" It looks as though some additional circuitry is required for battery operation. Still trying to figure it all out.

Larry

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would also be interested in buying a 6-degreee/12V module (M10P001/B10N001).

Are we up to five yet?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Some details on the 10W Solarc lamps and ballasts, from the Welch-Allyn site

Welch-Allyn Lamps

Three lamp styles available: lamps in a 6-degree or a 13-degree parabolic reflector, and a bare bulb.

Four ballasts available, differing in input voltage:
10.2 V (8-cell NiCD/NiMH)
12.0 V (8-cell Alkaline)
12.8-13.2V (10-cell NiCD/NiMH)
14.1-14.5V (11-cell NiCD/NiMH)

The $500 developers kit includes:

5 lamp/ballasts of any ONE lamp/ballast configuration (your choice)

OR

2 6-degree lamps
2 13-degree lamps
1 bare bulb
2 12 V ballasts
1 each of the other three ballast types

This assortment is the vendor's choice - you cannot spec your own assortment.

The ballasts are unregulated: lamp power dissipation is a linear function of input voltage.

The "Zip file containing circuits that can be used to condition electrical input to B10N Series of ballasts" contains four simple circuits to set the input voltage for the ballast:

A schottky diode to drop the voltage
A linear regulator to drop the voltage
A linear regulator used to set two different voltage/power levels
A linear regulator implementing a soft-start.

It appears that the only critical parameter is the voltage supplied to the ballast: it needs to be in the range specified for the ballast in order for the lamp power to be within spec. Lamp power should always be in the 8 - 11 W range.

Efficiency is 85%, so for a 10.2 V (8-cell NiXX)current drain would be 1.15 A, about 90 minutes for 1600 MAH NiMH AA cells.

Not bad for a 450 lumen device.

I am pretty impressed by my Surefire G2Z/P61 at 120 lumens...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ashamedly I know nothing about the potential of these light sources... I guess I had better start looking past hi-flux LED's.

They will make for EXPENSIVE flashlights tho. On the other hand, all-out performance sells itself.
grin.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
Well, if anyone comes up with a "company" that Welch Allyn is willing to sell the developers kit to. Let me know and I'll get one too.

-YC

K-T

*Moderator*
I have had contact with the german distributor and they told me that the lamps can be bought individually, I do not have to buy the whole set. Each lamp and ballast can be bought. If I remember right, one set was about 150$ (cannot find that email anymore - therefor only guessing)
A 6° beam must be nice.