Surefire Beam Diffuser

xaman

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing -- from what i've picked up here and there -- that a beam diffuser on a KL1 will cause the long throw light to have more flood/spill. Does it actually cut the brightness - or just change the beam characterisitcs? How would a KL1 head w/a beam diffuser compare to a KL4 head on the same body (say an E series single cell 123)?

Is the diffuser a permanent mod, or is it easily removed "in the field" -- if you decided you needed more throw?

THANKS!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny that you just posted this. OpticsHQ.co just released my order for an L4 and a F04 diffuser.

My plan is to have the KL4 on the E1L body with a RCR123a cell (to run in regulation)

I will take the L4 body and fit it with the KL1 head and F04 diffuser.. I haven't seen this yet but I believe the KL4 head will be MUCH brighter than the E1l with the diffuser... their Lux v is a horse LOL

I'll let you know once I receive it on the 24th

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
The beam diffuser does take a little of the sting off of a KL1. It does make it more flood like and eliminates most of the throw. There really isn't a comparison to the L4, the L4 is way brighter and room filling, the KL1 with a beam diffuser is great for walking and close up work as well and can be easily removed. It just slips over the bezel and slips off when you want to remove it (it does fit tight though, won't just fall off). Let me know if you need help getting one.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire beamshapers eat light. No two ways about it. What gets through though is spread around *very* well. I haven't seen any that don't just slip on/off, though the bigger ones lock on using a lever.

Danintex

Enlightened
The diffusers from SF are flip-top deals that allow instant transition. My experience says you can't buy a beam like that except with multi-LED devices like an X5. It doesn't seem to reduce output much but you know it's there since anytime you mess with the beam you lose a bit.

xaman

Newly Enlightened
Is there a shaper for the KL4 -- to give it throw?

I'm trying to decide which one for hunting/tracking situations. Flood is great for tracking in dense cover, but throw is very useful sometimes too (you hear a sound some distance away...) If I have to decide between one or the other, I'd go w/flood from the KL4 -- but is there a way to get it to throw in the field?

thanks!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sound like you need a U2 :)

xaman said:
Is there a shaper for the KL4 -- to give it throw?

I'm trying to decide which one for hunting/tracking situations. Flood is great for tracking in dense cover, but throw is very useful sometimes too (you hear a sound some distance away...) If I have to decide between one or the other, I'd go w/flood from the KL4 -- but is there a way to get it to throw in the field?

thanks!

xaman

Newly Enlightened
yeah -- LOL

I'm just trying to get it into a 1 cell package... :) :naughty:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The material used for the BeamShaper is very special - it diffuses the beam whilst still letting as much light as possible through.