headlights for a skateboard

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
I want to put some headlights on my Fibreflex longboard. When I go cruising at night I can generally tell where the road is, but it would be helpful to be able to spot rocks and potholes. I've been carrying a flashlight, but my E2E is far too bright, and my fauxton is not quite bright enough, at least not from neck height. I just need a short range glow on the ground.

It's 44 inches long and has one of the trucks right at the front edge. What I was thinking is just making a bar that will fit on hte front truck bolts, fixing a couple LEDs, and putting a radioshack battery holder on the underside of hte board. I'd like it to use either 9.6v recharcheables, AA rechargeables or Surefire cells, with no or minimal regulation circuitry. I know my ARCAAA uses a 1.5v cell and no regulation, so if I'm thinking correctly I could put two of those LEDs in series and use a surefire battery, right? what voltage is the Fauxton battery?

I was thinking of just gutting a couple of Fauxtons for their LEDs, but perhaps there is a less destructive way to obtain them. I know Radioshack has panel mount LEDs that would be perfect except they are not bright enought to use for lighting.

I will probably be slow to reply to htis thread, because I'm between apts and trying to get internet set up. And if my typing sucks, it's because I normally type Dvorak.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you though about using 5 prefocused beam 10mm diameter leds like these inexpensive but bright ones?
A package of 10 wouldn't break the bank and you'd have 5 spare leds to replace the originals with when they get damaged.
They would run well direct driven from 3 AA sized rechargeables. If the forward voltage of the leds leans toward 3.7 volts a small voltage dropping resistor may not even be needed.
Face 3 of them directly ahead and toe-out the 2 end ones out about 15-20 degrees and your all set.
Use the coupon code "CPFer" for a 10% discount.

Last edited: