10W K2 Dual-Mode Flashlights.

watching

Newly Enlightened
I would doubt it. The site claims 77 lumens output with 10 watt of power. If you are able to run the K2 led at 10 watt i would expect a lot more lumens.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for real - I have a sample on my desk from the MFR. Well, let me rephrase - I don't know that that site is offering the real deal but the Mfr really makes a K2 version now - just released.

It's a K2 driven at 1.5A so 6-7.4Vx1.5A = 9-11.1W.

Brightness is similar to the 7W Golston - maybe slightly less bright even - but it runs MUCH cooler. Where the Golston is HOT in 10 minutes and SCALDING in 30 you can run a set of batteries from New>empty and the K2 version stays cool enough to hold - though of course it does get warm.

My concern is battery efficiency..still it's a nice light. The one I have has a flat finish, not the bright finish of the 'Golston' and the emitter is clearly a K2.

I will likely be importing them but will be selling them for more than 22.99 to be honest.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat would have been a major issue as I use most of my torches for 30-45 minute "nature walks" in the woods....

Would you say it's brighter than a U2?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the same light on both Dae's sites:

http://www.szwholesale.com/super-bright-rechargeable-recommended-p-735.html

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/super-bright-rechargeable-recommended-p-450.html
Thanks MattK for the review, I have been trying to find out about this for quite a while and got nowhere. By sticking around CPF I know the answers will always emerge. My Golstons are all matt finished, we have a few where I work. Since this is not a big improvement I think I will stay with the Golstons.

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
MattK said:
It's a K2 driven at 1.5A so 6-7.4Vx1.5A = 9-11.1W.
Holy smokes! Is the forward voltage of a K2 6-7.4 volts at 1.5 A? :thinking: I don't think so. The 10 watts is not desipated by the LED alone, but rather the LED+resistor. This doesn't make a 10 watt light in my book, but sure enough - the whole light consumes 10 watts from the cells, and one might call it a 10 watt light. I may be wrong however, as I have never held a K2 in my hands, so please correct me on this.

Jan

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
I have the 6watt from fifthunit and it's been nothing short of outstanding in build quality, reliability and intense brightness. It's a fantastic little light.

The moment I saw the 10 watt on their site I ordered it (three days ago). I'll let you know how it compares with some beam shots.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
watching said:
I would doubt it. The site claims 77 lumens output with 10 watt of power. If you are able to run the K2 led at 10 watt i would expect a lot more lumens.
Aren't most 5 watt luxeons rated at 100 lumens and above? I WAS thinking about getting this but i dunno...

"76.59 lumens" That's hella weak. It's either running the LEDs at far below rated power or its getting 7.66 lumens per watt.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed this light a few weeks ago and started this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126803

I received mine from FifthUnit on Monday, but had problems---popped 2 RCR123As in and... nothing. Unscrewed the head to have a look and the lux star fell out! Very weak soldering, I'm afraid.

The good news is that Bonnie at FifthUnit C/S has been very helpful in setting up the return process, and I shipped the light back to them today. I'll post my experience with all this once it's come full circle.

In the meantime, all I can say is that the light is attractive, with apparently decent machining, and I'm looking forward to getting a good one back in a couple of weeks for a proper test.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
I noticed this light a few weeks ago and started this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126803

I received mine from FifthUnit on Monday, but had problems---popped 2 RCR123As in and... nothing. Unscrewed the head to have a look and the lux star fell out! Very weak soldering, I'm afraid.

The good news is that Bonnie at FifthUnit C/S has been very helpful in setting up the return process, and I shipped the light back to them today. I'll post my experience with all this once it's come full circle.

In the meantime, all I can say is that the light is attractive, with apparently decent machining, and I'm looking forward to getting a good one back in a couple of weeks for a proper test.

why not re-solder? instead of two week replacement process?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy Shackleford said:
why not re-solder? instead of two week replacement process?

The truth is I haven't had a soldering iron in a long time, although I know, as a good CPFer, I'll have to remedy that before long. Even then, I suspect I'll be asking for some guidance on technique so as not to make a mess of it.

Moreover, I'm not in a huge hurry---enough other toys to play with in the meantime. FifthUnit even reimburses for the return postage, so that's a good thing. Finally, I think FifthUnit has some nice looking lights, at very attractive prices, and they seem to be adding more all the time. Frankly, I care a lot about customer service, and I'm interested in how F/U handles this whole process. If it goes smoothly, you can bet I'll be singing their praises on the boards. If not, I'll be telling that story as well.

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
.. TWO MODES! .. THATS why mine seemed MUCH dimmer than my Golston 7W! Geez... Took me until this post to figure it out...

For everyone who's wondering: the cycle is Off -> Low -> Off -> High -> Off.

Not Off-> Low -> High -> Off which may be more intuitive :)

Still seems a bit dimmer than my Golston 7W though; like MattK said -- however mine seems to get MUCH hotter than the Golston 7??

As in, after 1 minute, it's really too hot to hold.

Wonder if I got a bad one...

Another word of caution: Don't tighten the head too much -- Unlike the Golston 7w, this one didn't come with threadlock on the head. The body of the emitter itself against the reflector is what stops the head from being screwed down further. Too tight and you may crack the reflector or the emitter.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting one of these ... just to have a REALLY powerful light for occasional usage.

This thread isn't exactly bolstering my confidence. :(