Recycle styro packing peanuts

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always felt guilty about trashing styro packing peanuts.

The neighborhood commercial mail/shipping store will gladly take them. Boxes too. I did strip the shipping labels before giving them the boxes.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I truly recycle those ... I use them for packing and ship them off to someone else to worry about :D

I wouldn't give them to the commercial mailing stores around here, at least not to the mom&pop ones as they'll just turn around and sell them to someone.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If mom and pop can resell them that's fine with me. At least they're not going immediately to the landfill or blowing around the neighborhood. (the packing material, that is)

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I live in a good-sized condo, and leave them in our trash area in the resident's "unofficial" swap area. Someone is always sending things out, and its snapped up quickly.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Darn things cost $5.00 a cubic foot,, at my local Staples Office Supply. I've got a friend that is saving them for me now. She buys a lot on the Home Shopping Network. Thank God!

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always save those. Makes my shippings look awfully professional! (have had ebay feedback saying so) If I don't have enough, I'll mix 'em with newspaper or bubble wrap--whatever I've saved, basically.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I have at least 3 kitchen size garbage bags and 6 plastic grocery bags full of those and do not know what to do with them... :ohgeez: That's the price of being an eBay junkie... :grin2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your waste disposal company may accept those as recyclable refuse.

allthatwhichis said:
I have at least 3 kitchen size garbage bags and 6 plastic grocery bags full of those and do not know what to do with them... :ohgeez: That's the price of being an eBay junkie... :grin2:

sld

Newly Enlightened
If you were to ship those off to someone so they could reuse or recycle them, what do you use to pack them in?

(Sorry, it's a weakness)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a few of the things to test how sharp my knives are. A really sharp blade will make almost transparent slices off of a peanut. Nothing like making even more little, tiny pieces out of them, plus it seems to up the static charge on them, too! Talk about making a real mess... Yeehaw! Now if I only had a cat to play with them I could crap up the entire house.

If I don't have any around the house, I can grab some from work and if they pile up around home, I can take them into work to be reused.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ask that shippers not use them.
They are a pain in the butt, especially when I don't expect them and tear a box open outside on a windy day... I prefer balled up newspaper, then I also get to read about what's happening in the shipper's home town.. (unless they stuff 'The Wall Street Journal' in there, heh; hicks trying to appear sophisticated, hmph! :grin2: )

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
A box. Maybe put them in a plastic bag first and then in the box? Did I miss something here?

sld said:
If you were to ship those off to someone so they could reuse or recycle them, what do you use to pack them in?

(Sorry, it's a weakness)