Possible LS Mod - Chopped Legend LX?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm have become obsessed with the notion that I can find or make a suitable host for my BB500 that uses a single 123 and has a tail clicker
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Does anyone know if there is enough room in the LX barrel to fit optics, a BB500 and a single 123 battery? I'm thinking I'd lose the incand. assembly, head and reflector and somehow "pretty up" the bare threads to make it look something like a Nexstar.

I don't have access to a lathe but there's gotta be a way to do this AND not have it look like a hack job...

Jon

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
If all you want is the battery tube cut back and re-taped for the tail cap switch, I could probably do it. It seems to be my thing these days to cut up Brinkmenn's.
rolleyes.gif

Basically sounds like you want a shorty LX.

Matt

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think that elektrolumens 30mm optics should work if you smallerized them... and i think it mr. bulk has made lx mods (using both 123's
shocked.gif
)...so i'm going to say yes.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
WS6mro,

I hadn't thought about using the head assembly at all, I was thinking that I'd lose that part of the light and keep the tail end as it is. One of the goals is to keep the size down, something like an Arc LS w/ TSP. But, if I could find a copper fitting that will act as a sleeve and hold the BB500 in the LX tube, I suppose I could reuse the business end of the LX...

Did you have to make a tap to match the tailcap's threads or is it a normally available size?

Rothrandir,

The goal here is to use my BB500 and I'm pretty sure it can't handle the 6v Vin... But, I like the idea of the 30mm optics as they seem to give a better hotspot and throw.

Jon

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
fcb6578e.jpg

Jon,

This is what I thought you wanted.

No, I don't have a tap for that thread size.
bluesigh.gif
I would just cut the new threads on a lathe.

-Matt

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screw what I wanted, that's pretty slick.
smile.gif
Should we continue this discussion in email?

The 30mm optics won't fit in there (so I read) but they don't work well with low dome emitters anyway (so I read) so I'd have to go with the original optics.

...Unless I can track down a 1w SE, replace the BB500's existing emitter and use the original reflector.

I'm thinking about this way too much.
frown.gif

Jon

Kiessling

Flashaholic
why not use some McLux DIY parts?

a 1 x 123 pack with clickie ... exactly what you are looking for and it is great !!!

bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
matt, what did you use to draw that up and how long did it take?

sorry, i recently bought autocad 2002 and a book...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by StoneDog:
...The 30mm optics won't fit in there (so I read) but they don't work well with low dome emitters anyway (so I read) so I'd have to go with the original optics.

...Unless I can track down a 1w SE, replace the BB500's existing emitter and use the original reflector...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I 'm wondering if you couldn't trim down the rim on the 30 mm optics and cram it into the LX head. The I.D. of the LX head is 33mm on the screw cap, and 29mm on the head itself. The O.D. of the 30mm optics with rim is supposed to be 35mm. This is really close.

Also, I tried a 1W S.E. in an LX reflector, and I couldn't get it to focus very well. I don't want to say you shouldn't do it, just that I wasn't getting good results. Perhaps someone else could chime in here about this, and confirm my experiment one way or the other.

I've also heard that people have put H.D's in and gotten spot beams.

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
Jon,

You can shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Rothrandir,

The Cad software I am using is called Unigraphics. It took me about 15min to draw that light up, of course I have been using UG for six years now so that helps.

-Matt

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Matt,
I wanted to comment on the excellent work you do from your cad work to your machining. Since Rothrandir asked about your cad package, I am curious to know what machines you run to modify your lights. Do you have home equipment that you use, or do you work for a shop that has lathes/mill, etc.?

Rothrandir...If you aren't familiar with Unigraphics, plan on using your Autocad fo a long time. Unigraphics is an awesome package, but it is one of the more expensive ones you will find.

Latest posts