What e-mail client are you using right now?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still using outlook express, only because I know how to use it. I can add gmail accounts easily, and I like that, I don't want to have to configure more than is necessary.

I'd like to try something different, maybe I'm missing some useful features.

Any suggestions?

BillCurnow

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Pegasus Mail for over 10 years ago, although I've switched my primary email to Gmail. Still use Pegasus at the office, though.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Gmail for people I know, and I use my ISP provided account through Thunderbird for websites and places I'm likely to get spammed.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a timely thread for me. My Outlook Express just started acting goofy and people arent receiving the email I send. Downloaded Thunderbird, but am having a hard time configuring it. I have several email accounts with my ISP, and havent quite figured out how to manage those acct with Thunderbird.

Went to the Microsoft website looking for some kind of repair utility for OE, but the only ones I found there cost $ and arent free.

Can I reinstall OE without losing my addresses and saved mail? Can I get OE free from the Microsoft website?

May look into Pegasus, Incredimail, or whatever else I can find.

cheers

greenLED

Flashaholic
IncrediMail is buggy.
I use Outlook or Gmail.
I tried Thunderbird and liked it, but until it can sync with my PDA I won't use it.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I use Gmail. It's very reliable, accessible anywhere there's a connection to the net and has huge storage capability. When you move to another country, state or province, nothing happens. Compare that to what happens if you rely on a POP3 mail account provided by a specific Internet Service Provider.

That said, it is possible to deal with a corrupted Outlook Express (which I happily do not use). If you open the control panel, click on Add/Remove programs, then click on Add/Remove Windows Components. If you uncheck Outlook Express, it's removed. Reboot, then reverse the procedure, putting the check mark back beside Outlook Express. This should fix OE. I'm uncertain what happens to existing mail messages in your inbox, outbox etc. YMMV.

In my mind, Outlook Express is so yesterday. FWIW, Microsoft is nuking OE in Windows Vista and will provide a new client called Microsoft Mail. I won't be using this program either. I will attempt to delay 'upgrading' to Vista from XP for as long as I can.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use OE because I can have multiple accounts that I can protect with passwords for each account. I've tried other programs that can support multiple accounts but none that provides individual passwords for each account.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, question for you. I use Eudora at home and Outlook at work. I like Eudora because all your opened messages stay contain within the main Eudora window rather then cluttering up the taskbar as individuals. I like Outlook because the attachments remained embedded within the message and I can then choose whether to save it to a folder or not. Eudora automatically dumps the attachments into a directory that I later have to manually delete. Is there a POP email program that does both?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using Eudora since 1998, then I switched to Thunderbird in 2005. Before 1998 I think I was using Pine and GMail, but don't remember since it is so long ago.

Sigbjoern

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Mail (comes with Mac OSX) Very good program and integrated into the OS well.

Gmail for spam potential

cy

Flashaholic
been using Thunderbird since beta... has always been very_stable.

since I've had the same email for many years, my spam to real email is at least 200 to 1...

couldnot function without bayleon spam filter of Thunderbird.

only spam that gets thru is new/cleaverly written spam. those get tagged as spam, bayleon filter learns and the cycle repeats...

BF Hammer

Enlightened
MayCooper said:
Wow! Flashback!!

Wasn't Microsoft Mail included with Windows 95??

Microsoft Mail and News as I recall. The 2 apps were combined into 1 and renamed Outlook Express I believe with the release of IE4.

I am currently running Thunderbird. It's about the same skill level to configure as OE, just different. I started using it on a trial basis when I had to buy a new PC when my previous one dumped the hard disk. I was going to fall back to Pegasus Mail if I decided there was a problem, but I haven't done so yet in nearly a year of use now. Pegasus Mail is an order of skill level higher to configure.

I have always found the full version of Outlook and Eudora to be too bloated for my personal taste. I have no need for the personal contact database, and no worries with syncing to a PDA since I don't own or need one.