SURGE OF DISAPOINTMENT

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Just got my new PT Surge in the mail, loaded the batts and the bulb blew within 10 seconds. Something is rattling around in the head of the batt carrier. What a let down after a week of waiting.

What a PITA trying to remove batts as well!!

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That rattle would likely be the catalyst pellets. And yes, I have mixed feelings about my Surge. Keep spare bulbs handy.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
I now have two bloodied knuckles trying to remove the batteries and had to use my pocket knife to get them out.

I think this is my first online disapointment,

Tri-Star Phazer +
MagCharger +
Streamlight TL-3 +
Fenix 2LP +

PT Surge -

rookie

Enlightened
Same here, blew the bulb when I first tried loading the batteries. Accidentally hit the side switch on the battery carrier while having a hard time loading batteries. Eventually got another bulb and it works great now. But, you are right about the battery loading being a pain in the a$$. I just use a letter opener to push and pull the batteries from the carrier.

Hope things work out for you.

Danintex

Enlightened
I have had Surges in the past and my Dad still has one, but the beam and overall quality were just not for me. Every so often, PT has a bad run of bulbs and they usually warranty everything. Comes w/the price IMO.

mykall

Enlightened
Unfortunately after my Attitude mishap I have no faith in PT products. The
problem I had with mine was the same problem that others warned me about
right after I bought mine. Although PT provided an replacement module, the same happened repeatedly.

I like their waterproofness, but I just don't have any faith in their reliability.
It's a shame because they have some nice lights, although most would agree that their lineup is in need of an overhaul.

MB

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
rookie said:
Same here, blew the bulb when I first tried loading the batteries. Accidentally hit the side switch on the battery carrier while having a hard time loading batteries. Eventually got another bulb and it works great now. But, you are right about the battery loading being a pain in the a$$. I just use a letter opener to push and pull the batteries from the carrier.

Hope things work out for you.
I did the same thing, after having one side loaded I bumped the switch
and it kinda flashed dimmly, I wonder if doing that does something to the filament?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
spacetroll said:
Just got my new PT Surge in the mail, loaded the batts and the bulb blew within 10 seconds...What a let down after a week of waiting...What a PITA trying to remove batts as well!!
The Surge puts out a lot of light for the $, plus runs on common AAs. However I generally recommend other lights -- the battery carrier is a pain, as you mentioned. The bulb shouldn't blow in 10 sec, so that's bad luck.

For that output level I think the Streamlight TL-3 is much better, albeit more expensive and requires CR123A batteries. You already have a TL-3, so IMO the Surge is sort of redundant -- approx same output level, just runs on 8x AA batteries, and poorer discharger curve.

I kept my Surge for a while then gave to my father-in-law. He still has it, likes it, and bulb hasn't blown yet.

The Surge was impressive when it came out, but there are better choices.

A great light in that price range is the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA. Nowhere near the output, but a very practical quality light, also runs on AAs.

Latest posts