Are flashlights used in movies modified?

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I happen to have watched a few movies on DVD this week that all featured scenes where the characters needed flashlights. It occurred to me that all the flashlights used produced pretty small spots (some with good throw, some not), but none of them produced the kind of flood I would look for in a pocket light.

I'm wondering -- are movie flashlights specifically chosen for throw in order to avoid interfering with lighting? Are they modified in some way that makes them 'camera friendly?' Or is the lack of flood an artifact of the filmmaking process (i.e., the flashlights would have flood if I was in the same room with them, but it just doesn't translate to film)?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
The focus pullers on films have to be careful of lens flare, so maybe this is why the floody beam is not used. Also, some flashlights might be higher brightness than stock, as film often needs more light.

schrenz

Enlightened
I think an impressing spot looks better in a movie, I noticed, that SF-THs are likely used in movies.
Yesterday I saw something funny:
A movie about the dicovery of Tut-Ench-Amun's grave in 1923 and Henry (?)Carter was using a Surfire C2!!!:lolsign: :lolsign:

Illum

Flashaholic
i was wondering whether they altered the beam of the M6 Ben was using in National Treasure...

:laughing:the M6 has an unmistakeable body pattern to it:grin2:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think many of them are modded. They would look pretty yellow against a set that was lit with the typical quartz halogens or HMI lights.

On the other hand, they could easily fix a yellowish tint of a flashlight in a digital intermediate.