Good Thing I had my Surefire L6...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys:

Just when I thought my life was getting bored... as submitted to the Surefire True Stories:

Around 23:30hrs on 18.08.2006, my fiance got a phone call from her younger brother, he was onboard a train that was involved in an accident and had stopped dead on the tracks between stations.

When I arrived at the scene, it was pitch dark with only the lights from the cabin of the train providing minimal lighting for passengers to evacuate. There were 2-3 police cars but they were parked too far from the tracks to provide any useful lighting from their vehicles.

The driver of the train and one of the police were trying to evacuate passengers from the train. The police had their duty issue 4D MagLites, but they weren't enough to provide good illumination to ensure the safe evacuation of the passengers. Many of the passengers were stumbling and falling over.

I turned on my SureFire L6 to assist in the evacuation and the effect of 100lumens of pure white light was nothing short of amazing!
I could hear people mumuring: What torch is that? Wow, thats bright!

The pure white beam of the L6 had the perfect balance of hotspot and sidespill in this situation, passengers and crew could clearly see what they were doing and where they were going. No more stumbling about in the dark!
Meanwhile my fiance began looking for her brother and found him safe and sound.

After all the passengers had safely evacuated from the train, the driver and the cop asked to have a look at the Surefire L6, they hadn't seen anything like it. They were simply amazed by its life saving performance in the darkest situations.

On behalf of the passengers rescued and the crew who performed the rescue: GOOD ON YA, SUREFIRE!!! :goodjob:

schrenz

Enlightened
Good story, you might recieve the 100$ from SF :laughing:

BTW:Question to your avatar: Why an Enfield Sa 80, when you are located in Australia, I guess you are so lucky to have the AUG? :laughing:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi Fusion from Brisbane :). First of all good one mate!

I've got a Surefire M3 and i've been considering getting the KL6 for it as well. This might just tip me into getting one! I haven't been able to play with an L6 yet, but going off your account it should be plenty fine!

Isn't it great when a tool just works (in your case the L6 was reliable and provided more than enough light) and lets you focus on the task at hand!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Fusion,

That is an awesome story and I am sure everyone if grateful to SureFire as well as yourself!

Thanks for sharing,
John

Illum

Flashaholic
Great story, theres no better way to elighten people by using asurefire in a crowded spot....in your case an entire train full of ppl.

:goodjob:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

This story and stores like it makes me always want to carry an Extra set (or 2) of batteries. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a flashlight with dead batteries might as well be a paper weight!

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Of all the grateful people, did anyone offer to buy you a set of replacement batteries?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Fusion_m8, how long did the rescue take? Did you have to change out the batteries during the evacuation?

Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan said:

This story and stores like it makes me always want to carry an Extra set (or 2) of batteries. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a flashlight with dead batteries might as well be a paper weight!

hey, there are ppl [:grin2:like me] who buys lights for paperweights you know...:lolsign:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
schrenz said:
Good story, you might recieve the 100$ from SF :laughing:

BTW:Question to your avatar: Why an Enfield Sa 80, when you are located in Australia, I guess you are so lucky to have the AUG? :laughing:

Why? Because that photo wasn't taken in Oz but in the UK...:grin2:

dangerman

Newly Enlightened
Imagine what they would have said if you had used your Scorpion R500!

Perhaps 400 or so lumens would have been too much of a good thing.

"My eyes,! My eyes!"

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Fusion_m8, how long did the rescue take? Did you have to change out the batteries during the evacuation?

Bill

Before I used my L6, the evacuation process was very slow as people could not see clearly. The driver and lone policeman's flashlights were pretty dim and could not light a large enough area to ensure a speedy evac.

While the driver with one torch assisted passengers climb off the carriage onto the tracks, the policeman with the other torch had to try to lead passengers off the track across a grassy field about 50m(150ft) to the road where the police cars were parked.

After using the L6, I reckon the whole evacuation took about 15mins. The driver estimated there were no more than 200 passengers.

I had Energizer e2 CR123s in my L6 with about 80-90% juice left, I probably used the light for about 45mins that night, and until now the brightness still looks 100%!

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
dangerman said:
Imagine what they would have said if you had used your Scorpion R500!

Perhaps 400 or so lumens would have been too much of a good thing.

"My eyes,! My eyes!"

Hahaha... the police would probably have arrested me and charged me with assault with a deadly weapon causing blindness, confiscated my R500 then keep it for themselves...

The R500 would have been useful because the police were searching along a few hundred metres of tracks for the object the train collided with.

schrenz

Enlightened
Fusion_m8 said:
Why? Because that photo wasn't taken in Oz but in the UK...:grin2:
I suspected it...:laughing:
Infantery? You look so;)

The story is one more reason for me to carry real lights for EDC, at the moment I've a M3T in my rucksack.
Greets Jens