Spotlights for Military Night Ops?

Bob77

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good spotlight that will be used in Iraq. The requirements I have are:​

1) handheld with a pistol grip;

2) plugs into the 12volt cigarette lighter in a vehicle (the spotlight will only be used from a vehicle);

3) prefer if it was not incan so I don't have to worry about changing burnt bulbs;

4) super bright;

5) waterproof and very reliable; and

6) try to keep all recommendations below $200.

Any help and recommendations are appreciated.

Orbit

Enlightened
um....200 isn't much of a budget for a HID... perhaps a costco?

Orbit

Enlightened
touche!!! i had forgotten about the light cannon.

excelent value for money.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pro Comp makes a sweet little handheld 55W pistol grip light, it's lightweight, slim and dirt cheap. I bought one a few years ago for $17 from Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers. For your $200 budget you can buy a batch of them and have spares and hand-arounds. If the lamp burns out, toss the light out, no messy bulb-changing operations. ;-)

StuGatz

Enlightened
Vectorlite used to make a small portable 1.5 Mil CP light with both charging cords. Price was about $20.00 to 30.00 IIRC.

Again at that price you could have several on hand...

Nevermind, It was NOT waterproof.

Stuart

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
scott.cr said:
Pro Comp makes a sweet little handheld 55W pistol grip light, it's lightweight, slim and dirt cheap. I bought one a few years ago for $17 from Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers. For your $200 budget you can buy a batch of them and have spares and hand-arounds. If the lamp burns out, toss the light out, no messy bulb-changing operations. ;-)

Not waterproof, but a helluva deal. Here is a handy link for it

nitekayak

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you want a Lightforce SL240 Blitz.

This light has a 9.5" reflector that is regarded as one of the best reflectors in a handheld corded pistol grip style spotlight. It comes with a 100 Watt Osram Xenophot bulb (yes, it's only Xenon), but the bulb is rated at 2800 lumens and has a 2000 hr. rated life. The beam is focusable from flood to spot and the handle will store a spare bulb just in case you are worried about burning one out. It runs about $145, so it is a good buy.

Here is a link to purchase:
http://www.tufflights.com/Item.asp?ItemID=71
Here is a link to the Lightforce Catalog:
http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/OCT02.pdf
Here is a link to a review from a user who converted it to an HID light:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37249

Lightforce also makes a Marine version of the light that is water resistant and will float if dropped into water. It is not designed to be submerged, but was designed to cope better with extreme wet conditions. The Marine version is called the ML240. It comes with a special 100 Watt Long Life bulb that is tougher. The bulb has a horizontally oriented filament that results in a beam that is more oval and as a result has less candlepower (and less throw). You can order the bulb that comes in the SL240 light (has a vertically oriented filament) as an accessory item.

If you do end up buying one, make sure you get the version with the cigarette lighter cord instead of the alligator clips. It comes in either option. Happy Hunting!

Last edited: