The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Pal Lights

Default Pal Lights

I'm thinking of picking up several Pal Lights to give away as gifts, with maybe an extra to hang on to for myself.

Three models are easily available: Humvee, Safe-Light, and Survival. They're priced within a few bucks of each other, so cost isn't really a factor.

I like the looks of the Safe-Light the best. It looks like it would be comfortable in the hand and easy to switch.

The Humvee, though I find it rather ugly, is rated completely waterproof. But, it looks like the clear plastic top would squirt light out in all directions, which might be good for area lighting, but not so good when used as a flashlight.

The Survival is sort of in between, more water-resistant than the Safe-Light, but not completely waterproof. Think I remember reading that it has a narrow, lens-focused beam.

I would be grateful for comments on any or all of these lights from anyone with knowledge of them.

Default Re: Pal Lights

I've got a few . nice light. it takes a 9 volt batery
    I do like mine

I have most of the varations of pal lights,and like the safe-light best.With the clear top,the light you get off the sides of the light I find more usefull.Kind of a mini lantern for lighting up a room.

Enlightened

The survival light is nice to keep around the house. With the narrow beam, you won't have to worry about waking anyone else up but can still see what's in your path.

Thanks for the responses.

Since your opinions are divided, I'll probably just get a couple of each type to try out.

I got little hardware store hooks, like a washer with a curved extension -- mounted one on each of the lightswitch plates using the regular screw, hung a PALight from each one so it points down washing the wall/floor by the door. Very handy lights, always there when the power fails.

Make sure to stock extra 9v batteries -- the PALights glow for more than a year, it's easy to ignore them and find the battery almost used up. Fortunately no problem changing the battery in the dark!

Oh, and you can pop out the little plastic lens they used and replace it with the various Fraen optics used in better LED lights, if you want to change it -- I had to nibble away a bit of plastic around the edge of the optics then they snapped right in. So i have a variety from flood to spotlight.
    Last edited by hank; 08-20-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Flashaholic

Humvee all the way

Its a fantastic lantern and good quality beam..

Id choose the humvee

Quote Originally Posted by hank
    I got little hardware store hooks, like a washer with a curved extension -- mounted one on each of the lightswitch plates using the regular screw, hung a PALight from each one so it points down washing the wall/floor by the door. Very handy lights, always there when the power fails.
    Thanks hank, that's a great idea.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond. Since you all suggest different models, I'll probably just get a few of each type to try out and give away as gifts.

ringzero - PM sent...
    -"Must control self"-