is the surefire l4 the brightest?

snapper

Newly Enlightened
I have decided i want one more luxeon light. But i want a high power one. So is there anything comparable to the l4? In size and lumens? I have looked around but there is no real way to campare them, they are all rated differnetly.. And something i was wondering, how does the l4 beam compare to the popular p60 g2 and mno3 e2e? Are they as bright? As much throw and spill? About showing the true colors of stuff? Is the l4 noticably brighter than the g2/e2es? Is athere any others that i could consider???? please "enlighten" me...

thanks!! chris

luxbeam

Newly Enlightened
You can try the SF L2. It is comparable in brightness but with 2-stage tailcap.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
snapper said:
I have decided i want one more luxeon light.

Yeah, right. You'll get more than one more... ;)

The L4 is more flood than spot. Its a great light from what I hear. But I'm more of a "throw" fan so I got the L5 (which I'm currently trying to sell in B/S/T). I also have the new KL3 on a L5 body and LOVE it. Its my EDC until I get a E1L or a Milky L1...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I've got a MilkySpit LuxV WY0S on the way (may have around 150+ lumens) which would make it considerably brighter than the standard SFs.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 is similar to the E2e w/MN03, but has regulated runtime going for it, the durability of an LED, and can use rechargeables like the 17670 and its equivalents. Both have large spots and bright spill. The E2e offers a little more throw.
I EDCd a E2e for awhile, but after getting a KL4, I got rid of the standard head and lamp assemblies. For it's size, you're going to have a hard time beating an L4 for overall output. The only real negative is that it gets very hot in continuous use. Some of the larger lights like the L5 run cooler, but they're...larger.
The G2 and other lights with the P60 lamp assembly are going to have narrower beams with tighter hotspots that throw further.

cy

Flashaholic
brightest will depend upon luxeon lottery...

U2, L5, L6, L4.... all will be aprox 100 lumens output. actual tint and output will depend upon individual 5watt.

trend is for newer surefires to have better tint and output. this mirrors better availability of nice bin 5watts.

for instance a preminum bin like WXOS is fairly easy to find. Xbins are still kinda rare... although a fairly large Xbin batch recently was offered

IMHO a used Surefire L4 in mint condition is one of the best values currently available.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the WXOS Lux and ask some modder to put it in yours L4 and you got a much brighter L4. And for $1 more you can mod the tailcap to 2-stage tailcap.
You'll fall in love with yours L4. :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Don't just go modding a new KL4 without doing some kind of a output comparison test. You may have a WxxS already in that new KL4 head. My recent purchase new KL5 is awesome bright, and just short of being as bright as my KL6 modded by CM with a WWOSm and bias set to 1.1amp to lux V. Comparison via bounce and lightmeter.

Bill

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I put a WYOT in my old KL4 to replace the tired greenie that was there ..It came out brighter than it was but still not as bright as my new L4.
I would be willing to bet that the new L4s are coming with W bin or better nowadays.

cy

Flashaholic
no question a tri-lux A3 is a sweet setup... but at 2-3x cost of L4. and of course finding one that someone will part with...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
no question a tri-lux A3 is a sweet setup... but at 2-3x cost of L4. and of course finding one that someone will part with...

Yes cy, you're right. That's the bad part of the game:awman:.

Best regards

____
Tom

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, I put the WXOT in my L4, the color is good but the brightness is the same. Then I put the WYOS in my L4, it's much brighter. Try the "S" vf and you'll see the diffrent.

Led-Ed said:
I put a WYOT in my old KL4 to replace the tired greenie that was there ..It came out brighter than it was but still not as bright as my new L4.
I would be willing to bet that the new L4s are coming with W bin or better nowadays.