LED Light Birthday Gift

JustLuke

Newly Enlightened
Having seen my 6P, my dad has now expressed some interest in a Surefire light for himself. So I think this would make a nice birthday gift for him.

I have picked out the following flashlights as potentials: the A2, U2, L2 and the Kroma.

The requirements for the light are:
  • HA-III.
  • Simple and safe to convert to rechargeable.
  • LED.
  • Palm size, approximately no bigger than a 9P.
  • At least two brightness levels for the beam (High/Low).
This seems to leave the U2, L2 and Kroma (With the A2 not in the final running due to the incandescent bulb).

The L2 seems to be the logical and economical choice here, but it seems magnets are required for the rechargeable solutions that I have seen so far, which is not ideal. (The light needs to be a 'no-nonsense' light that 'just-works').

When I researched the U2, I found a few posts which recommended the Kroma over the U2 (Partly for size and bulkiness). The Kroma seems a bit like overkill, and also I have not yet seen a rechargeable solution for this light.

So, I am interested to hear anybodies views on these lights. If anybody has any suggestions, or could clarify the situation with the L2 and rechargeable lamps, this would be great. Sorry for my rambling post ! :)

Thankyou
Luke

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
Using your list of choices, I would have to go with the L2. The lower level is good for 90% + when I use it. It's pretty easy on the batteries on the low level and I think battery station still has a CPF discount in the dealers section so that the batts are $1 apiece.

I also prefer the wall of light it puts out for the majority of situations. Especially around the house.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, by now, his dad would have gotten his birthday gift. :thinking:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG... what's happening.

That wasn't the date I saw on lukus' post. It was today and I made doubly sure. And now it's back to 2006? :duh2::confused: This thread was amongst the threads with new posts.

(cue Twilight Zone music)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Zeruel, I saw it to. There was a post dated today or yesterday.

I think it was a totally irrelevant post about battery chargersn or knives or whatever that must have been posted in the wrong thread and have probably been moved.

But on the other hand it has gone 5 years so maybe it's time for a new light again?

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Well that explains it then:laughing:..... I think there are still some bugs that need to be worked out on the forums.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew.... for a moment, I thought I had too much coffee.....

Thanks for affirming my sanity, Gunnar.