Would upgrading the emitter in an E1L help with regulation?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to order an E1L here shortly. I like the size. The only thing that I don't like about it is the regulation isn't that great as shown at flashlight reviews (scroll down):

Surefire E1L

I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the emitter to the highest U bin out there (UV1L?) to improve the regulation off a primary cell. Would it?

I've also wondered about the regulation/runtime with a 3.7v RCR123 (protected or unprotected?) but nobody seems to know. Any comments?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about the 'highest U-bin out there' comment. Do you mean the brightest, or the highest Vf, or something else. I would think that the lowest Vf you could find would help more with the regulation. Also, i'd look for a different head than the current KL1 if you plan on cracking it open to change components.

If its a high Vf you want for some reason, there are M and N Vf U bins out there, lux III and K2.

schiesz

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Get your E1L and check it out. It may well be just what you want. You may get a low vf lux III that does fine with one CR123. If you chose to use an RCR123 you won't be disappointed, as it will operate in full regulation for sure. If you are not pleased with the output and or regulation/runtime PM CM and see if he can help you out. A nice SWOH lux I might just be the ticket, particularly for the stock bias, and the fact that you are using one battery to power the light.

Bill

BBL

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I've also wondered about the regulation/runtime with a 3.7v RCR123 (protected or unprotected?) but nobody seems to know. Any comments?
rcr123 are brighter than single cr123, as far as i can tell... runtime with mine is about 35min, but my charger tends to not fully charge my cells.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm only 35 mins? That doesn't sound right. But you also mentioned that your charger doesn't fully charge your batts...

Bullzeyebill Have you run one with the 3.7v cells? If so, whats' your impression of the regulation/runtime?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your only choice in getting better regulation is to upgrade the *regulator*. The buck/boost in the KL1 is of a very novel design, however the efficiency is not very good (around 60-ish percent efficient with single primaries) The wiz2 and I think GD are probably high 80% to low 90% but you cannot run them with three cells.

Luna

Enlightened
The single 123a just doesn't have the juice to put the Kl1 where it needs to be. Use an RCR123 and you will like the results more anyhow. That is the best first mod for the E1L

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
The single 123a just doesn't have the juice to put the Kl1 where it needs to be. Use an RCR123 and you will like the results more anyhow. That is the best first mod for the E1L

I'm leaning toward that setup more and more. I'm just surprised that there is no hard numbers/graphs for that arrangement.
The only thing now is to find a good supplier of 3.7V RCR123s.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The runtime in regulation with one RCR123's, protected battterystation, was about 1/3, compared to two CR123's.

Bill

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the regulation curve will be much flatter with the r123 but it will have less runtime.

-david

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure wish Surefire would jump on the buck/boost bandwagon since there are many controllers out there that can do the trick. They're still stuck on five year old SMPS technology, while Dat2zip is on his third generation or better on his circuits.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
the regulation curve will be much flatter with the r123 but it will have less runtime.

-david

Aack. So what would I be looking at here. An hour regulated or less?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Dat2zip, and Georges80 buck/boost circuits top out at 5.5 volts or so, so would not be good with two CR123 applications. They would work great with single LiIon setups such as E1L, though there is no indication that Surefire will move to LiIon's.

Bill

Luna

Enlightened
If you can find a mc2es, you will not worry about runtime. Plus, just have a few charged up and cycle them. This is a pocket setup anyhow, not a 'burn all night ' light. You will llike it, don't worry. Runtime isn't good on low cap rcr's but you will see it isn't a big deal

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there high capacity RCR123s'?

Not to push but I really would like to know what the regulated runtime would be on them.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are 900mah r123s at lighthound.com.... should give you about 45 min of well regulated runtime.

-David

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah Thank you! Thats what I'm looking for. And with a more efficient emitter, I could get an hour, yes?