The Greatness of 2C Flashlights

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody else really love the 2C form factor?

It beats out the 2D in so many ways. Much more pocketable than the 2D, especially in back pockets and jacket pockets, because it's lighter and smaller.

Better handling, because length and diameter are less. It fits my hand much better than a 2D, even though I have fairly large hands. It just feels more natural to hold and use.

Because its lighter, it's more suitable for backpacking and hiking, and is easier to lug along anywhere than a 2D.

Of course the 2D beats it in runtime, but I'd rather carry along the equivalent runtime in extra C cells. This has the added benefit of giving you a fresh, bright beam when you change batteries, which is more often than with a 2D.

Although some 2Ds put out more light, it's been my experience that a good 2C nearly matches a 2D in useful light for wilderness use.

The great majority of miles I ever backpacked, back in the seventies and eighties, one 2C or another served as my primary light source. Some sort of 2AA was always carried as a backup and secondary light source. Often used as a task light around camp to conserve the 2C's batteries, it was usually a Mallory or Duracell 2AA side-by-side - a classic flashlight, by the way.

My favorite backpacking light was the 2C Ray-O-Vac Sportsman. Smaller, sleeker, and a better reflector than the Everyready Captain, which was its main competitor.

A very reliable light. As long as you didn't submerge it in water, the Sportsman just worked. Although they often got knocked around pretty badly, I never had one fail me out on the trail. Probably the reason I never had a Sportsman fail, was that I never had a Sportsman more than a few years old. They were either borrowed and never returned, or else stolen outright.

At some point in eighties, I started carrying a Mag 2C, because Mags were more durable, had that nifty adjustable beam, and a spare bulb in the tailcap. But, the Mag 2C never felt quite as good in my hand as the old Ray-O-Vac Sportsman.

Anyone else have fond memories of 2C lights?

For some reason, the makers of LED lights are largely ignoring the 2C form factor. I can't think of any 2C LEDs from quality makers. Plenty of 3C LED lights out there, of which some are very good like the SLPP 3C Lux. But the 3C form factor just isn't as all around great as the 2C.

There are tons of 2AA LED lights, and quite a few 2D, so why so few 2C?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Yes, I too like the 2 C size and found the M@g to be comfortable. However, with the newer led lights and lithium batteries, the combination weighs less and often provides more light for longer runtimes.

Inova does make a 2 C Radiant series flashlight that's not too bad and the square head keeps it from rolling - it's by far my favorite light for hooking up stereo stuff in the back of the rack since it lays nicely on the shelf.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Theatre Booth Guy said:
Yes, I too like the 2 C size and found the M@g to be comfortable. However, with the newer led lights and lithium batteries, the combination weighs less and often provides more light for longer runtimes..

I'm sorry to brag guys....but I too have recently become a huge fan of the M*g 2C form factor lights but slightly..er...modified. Here's some pix of my new 2C M*g. Almost 5 hours runtime on rechargeable 18650 batteries. 180 screaming Lumens:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1550228&postcount=118

And, he can build you one with with even more emitters if you like!

I'm already planning my next one.

Bill

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 C is a very comfortable size for me too.

Only 2 cells require step-up regulation for most LEDs so the cheap lights always seem to take 3 cells and use a simple resistor.

The SMJLED is one of the few low voltage models and the PR2 version is really nice because it'll operate for days on 2 C cells.

Or for a cheap high output conversion, 3 123A cells fit a Mag 2 C and will run a 6D bulb.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theatre Booth Guy said:
Inova does make a 2 C Radiant series flashlight that's not too bad and the square head keeps it from rolling - it's by far my favorite light for hooking up stereo stuff in the back of the rack since it lays nicely on the shelf.

You're right: Inova does count as a quality maker of lights.

I'd seen the Radiant 2C, but had forgotten all about it. I looked at it, but wrote it off as a light I wanted to buy, for some reason I can't recall. Maybe I decided it was too bulky, or maybe I did't like the switch or the spot beam.

Just of curiosity, do you work as a projectionist? I did that for a while, many years ago.

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
I also like the 2C lights because the 2C battery is not very popular. If you have been in hurricane territory you know which batteries sell out first -- the D's

robert

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always prefered the C cell light to the D cell. They have always been a lot more comfortable to handle and manuver with my hand size, and my hands are not exactly small. I still carry a 5 C cell maglight in each vehicle.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually am a fan of the 3C Mag; it's shape is almost nostalgic and old-fashioned. With a Magled, it's got new life, and pretty decent life at that.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Don't forget the River Rock 2C 1.5 watt - available at Target for about $25. Yes, it's mostly a spotlight with that tight ring pattern that many of us find highly annoying ... but if they have another 50% off sale like they did this past spring, I'm gonna wipe out the supply at several stores.

I carry a 5C Mag-Lite in my vehicle. I have had it for close to 15 years. No mods, yet. I just removed a leaky battery from it ... I thought the light was ruined after I tortured it to get the last bad battery unstuck.

The diameter of the C barrel is much more to my liking. I really don't care for D lights ... then again, I have small hands.

3 AAA batteries in a carrier is about the size of a C cell and gives more volts ... but probably shorter run time. 4AA carriers are just a bit bigger in diameter.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bror Jace said:
Don't forget the River Rock 2C 1.5 watt - available at Target for about $25. Yes, it's mostly a spotlight with that tight ring pattern that many of us find highly annoying ...

I'll have to take a look at the RR 2C. I've never really examined one, because most of the comments I've seen have been so unfavorable about the beam.

Think I'd rather buy a new Mag 2C with MagLed drop in, plus an SMJLED PR drop in. Around 45 bucks for a very durable, versatile light. Covers all the bases, even incandescent if you want or need it.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely agree that the C form factor is a winner, esp. w/ mags. Combine that nice slender body with the large mag head, and you've got a great combination.

My fivemega 2 1/2C mag is a beautiful light in a great size. Very impressive throw, and it fits in my back pocket.

My son is a huge movie buff, and loves the "spotlight" beam of the Aurora (Jupiter LED) 2C I gave him (same as the River Rock 2C mentioned earlier).

I had a 3C Mag which I actually liked quite a bit, but sold as part of a periodic "thinning of the herd" exercise.

Now I have a 2C Mag LED on the way (funny how, despite all my efforts, those herds keep getting larger), and I'm looking forward to it---should be very pocketable and a big improvement over the stock Mag.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've gotten a little off track here in regards to the subject title and ventured towards the C form factor but yeah, I have both a 3D MagLite and a 4C.
Guess which one I prefer? The 4C.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Another 2C fan here.

It sure would be nice to have one or two of the old Sportsmans around, I like the style. Very classic IMO. I've got a late 70's era Eveready chrome pushbutton 2D I keep around for that reason, sans batteries.

I've had a 4C B-Lite for almost thirty years (my favorite) and a 5C Mag for fifteen or more. But no 2C's. Until now.......

I used to look at the 2C's and wonder why anybody would want one, especially colored ones. The last year has seen me purchase nineteen 2C Mags, only one in black. Seven were for other CPFer's (colored ones), four were modified 3x123's for friends (KPR-112's). For myself, two 3x123's (one HA with H1499+one 7.2V xenon), one with Mag led drop-in (nice), one with 2-cell frosted xenon (wife took it as it's purple), and four colored NIB in closet. I'm putting a 1w R/O DD in one, "almost" done, need to buy a black 2C. And a variable 1w RXOH in another, maybe.

Sticking with the "C" theme, I also have a HA-2.5C ROP LE. And a HA-6C for an ROP NiMH or maybe 5w LED someday.

Thanks a lot CPF. :)

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag-lite 2C fitted with 2 X 18650's powering a Pelican SLA 3854 lowout bulb is a great light.

It can be a bit head heavy at certain times but it casts a great beam (Otokoyama PMR LOP.)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emissive Engergy, the makers of Inova, is producing an aluminum 2 C-cell LED light for Victorinox now. Like the typical Inova stuff, the output is great and the fit and finish are excellent. There are 2 AAA and 2 AA versions available also.

179926529.jpg

These can be purchased for $28.50 at the SOSAK online store, here.

I don't own one (yet), but the reviews for the 2AA and 2AAA have been very favorable.

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several modified Mag 2C lights and find that particular form factor to be very nice and also versatile. However, lately I've been drawn more the the 1C form factor.

One of my recent 1C lights is a 1C Mag with 18650 battery and Mag 3w drop in replacement bulb. This thing is a real throw master.

2 and 5 are 1C format lights.
Maglites.png

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info, NutSAK !

That Victorinox/Inova 2 C-cell LED light looks very interesting.

Do you know where the on/off switch is located ?

That is the ONLY thing i am less-than-happy about in the design of the Inova Radiant 2C
(and the 2AA model).

Both the Radiant 2C and 2AA have a sensitive push-button tail-switch,
which cannot be locked out.

I had to fashion a home-made sleeve for my 2AA, to prevent accidental activation.

But they are otherwise wonderful flashlights, at very reasonable prices.

Let's see if this Victorinox model is what i'm looking for.

Edit_on:
Oops! Seems i am wrong about the 2C Radiant.
It appears to have a twist-tailcap switch, rather than the 2AA's push-button tailcap.
That's good news.
Edit_off

Last edited: