Kroma With 2 x RCR123... Is It Safe?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Kroma can be run safely, long term, with 2 x RCR123 batteries? I briefly tried this and the light worked fine but I am a chicken and don't want to take a chance with this light.

I noticed that Radar Greg indicated that he used them with RCR123's but I would like to know what I am doing to the light if I do this.

-Goatee

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
If the rechargeable 123 batteries incorporate protection (thermal, overcurrent, overdischarge etc), then there shouldn't be any concern!

I have just completed a 2 hour+ runtime test (not a Kroma light though) using two protected rechargeable batteries, with no problems at all!!

BTW, I am referring to 3 volt batteries, not 3.6~3.7 volt batteries. I only use 3V Li Ions at the moment. If the Kroma is regulated, then I don't see why you can't use protected 3V Li-Ions?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I don't think we have enough information about the Kroma circuit to know if it is ok with two LiIon's. One simple test to see if it ok is to check amperage at tailcap. If the Kroma pulls more amperage with two RCR123 than two CR123's then don't do it. Two RCR123s should pull less amperage than two CR123's. If amperage is the same with both types of cells, it is still not ok to use RCR123's.

Bill

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I've used the unprotected RCR123A cells from the Peak CPF Special buy on the Kroma-MS woth no problems whatsoever. I don't have runtime figures, but have used it repeatedly with no problems. I don't recommend the 14750 cell (I think that is the number) in the Kroma though. I tried it briefly at a CPF get together this past weekend, and it didn't work properly. The main white LED would stay on even when only the outer ring of LEDs was selected. Once I put the primary CR123A batteries or the RCR123A rechargeables back in it, it was working fine again. It is a fine light and seems to handle rechargeable 123 cells well.