Definition of flux.

moses

Enlightened
Quick query: Is flux rating the amount of light produced in relation to power consumption (i.e. per WATT the light consumes) or in relation to a specific rated current? (i.e. 400ma)

Did a thorough search, I think, on CPF but found no definition.

Thanks,
Mo

moses

Enlightened
Bump. Anybody? I'm sure many of you know as the term is thrown around quite a bit in CPF.

Thanks,
Mo

Jonathan

Enlightened
The flux rating is simply the total amount of visible light, measured in lumen or means spherical candle power, at rating conditions.

For a specific light, the rating conditions _might_ be a specified voltage (IE a regular incandescent lamp in which the current consumed and thus the total power is related to the applied voltage). The rating conditions might be a specified current (IE for an LED). Or the rating conditions might be total power (IE for a gas discharge lamp where power is regulated by a ballast circuit).

-Jon

moses

Enlightened
Thanks Jonathan,

Question then for the Luxeons rating - is it the lumens for current or total power consumption?

Thanks,
Mo

Jonathan

Enlightened
The Luxeons are rated in terms of operation at nominal current. Basically they do everything at 350mA (or 700mA), and report ranges for all of the other parameters, including lumen output, color, forward voltage, etc.

-Jon

Latest posts