used car buying help

Turt

Enlightened
I'm looking into buying a used car from a private party. I'm a bit confused about how the process works in terms of transferring the ownership when the pink slip is not in the hand of the seller as he has not finished paying it off. help? I live in CA. Thanks...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
In CA, the process is simple. To transfer title, the old owner produces his pink slip (title), and signs it over to you. You sign a piece of it indicating you're taking over ownership which the old owner keeps. He sends his part in. You take your part to the DMV, pay their fees and tax, and the DMV will mail you a new pink slip in a few weeks.

I can't remember how long you have between the time of sale and the time you have to go to the DMV. It's at least a few weeks, maybe 30 days. After that, you pay a fine for filing your change of owner ship late.

More important, you need to be careful about the car you buy. Look it over. At the very least, get its' Vehicle ID number checked through Carfax before you buy anything. You wouldn't believe what people try to pull when they sell used cars.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive done this twice in VA. Basically you get the signed title from the former owner and bill of sale to get charged appropiate sales tax on car value of they use the blue book. Take it to dmv, they take it and issue you YOUR title, then you get tags and plates. Cost about 50 bucks for plates 75 for tax on a 4.5 grand van.

If the car is in a family, you can get it as a gift and not have to pay any tax, just need to get the form from dmv.

I dont know about leins and what not.

Sounds like the owner wants to sell the car the bank owns as he is still making payments. Sounds like you need to get in contact with the bank and pay it off in full if you can not get it transferred in your name to continue paying on it. Then of course get it insured, that is easy with any insurance company and can be done in a few hours and they will fax the proof its insured. If its owned by the bank, they will want more than enough insurance to cover the car if it were to get recked.