• NO

Votes: 113 59.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eeksign: :aaa:

As for me, I don't believe in them. I am a firm believer that the universe that we live in follows certain rules. There's just no way for ghosts to exist the way some believe. Most "reported" cases are likely hoaxes or misplaced perceptions.

Do you believe in them? More interestingly, have any of you ever seen or experienced one?

:thumbsup: WP

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't have a specific belief in them, although I also believe that just because we might have no means of detecting something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Because of this it's much harder to prove that something doesn't exist.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bite.

Yes, I believe. My current house is haunted, although with friendly spirits. My wife and I hear footsteps through the house after we've gone to bed. Sometimes we smell pipe smoke in one corner of the living room near the wood stove, even though no one smokes in my house. The spot we smell the pipe smoke in would be perfect for someone to place an easy chair and put his feet up to the fire. Sometimes my wife and I will be laying in bed and I'll feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up, that I'm-being-watched feeling. At the same time my wife will stiffen and ask if she thinks we're alone, obviously feeling the same thing. I'll say outloud "This is our bedroom, may we have some privacy, please?" and the feeling will go away, leaving an air of apology. Same in the bathroom sometimes, though very rarely. Lights occasionally turn themselves on when rooms are entered and doors occasionally open themselves when approached. I always say "thank you" when that happens. At first I was just saying it as a general thank you to the world at large for making life more convenient for me by that much, but I've since gotten the impression that the light and door spirit is a child, or sometimes children. A boy and a girl, the girl a couple of years older than the boy. What else? Sometimes one of my cats will be curled around on the sofa with his belly in the air purring loudly(he sounds like my truck idling) as he usually does when having his belly rubbed, but no one's there. Other times both cats will watch something move about the room, something which they can both plainly see and track. I'll look close and see a hint of movement or a change of shadow, sometimes a fleeting shape, but nothing more. Shining a flashlight on it makes it disappear. The cats don't seem bothered by it, the way they are when other cats or dogs or certain people are around, which reassures me.

I don't feel any malice, anger, or danger from any of these people. I don't feel that my wife and I are in any way unsafe here because of them. In fact, I do believe they would help as much as they could should we be in danger. They're quite welcome in our home, so long as they stay out of the bedroom. :)

Cheers all! :buddies:

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I believe in the Devil and his demons.
I also believe in Angels.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i definetly believe in them and i believe in heaven and hell. i think that somtimes they just get lost on there way to heaven and wonder around until they find there way to heaven or someone tells them to go to heaven.

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
Diesel_bomber:

That was very interesting. How old is your house? Do you know much about its history?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't actually believe in them... But I have very definitely experienced at least one on a couple of different occasions.

And a couple of other 'supernatural' type entities, one of which might have been a dream, but the other was definitely not; I think I posted that story here in the Cafe or in the Underground a few years ago.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightSwede said:
Diesel_bomber:

That was very interesting. How old is your house? Do you know much about its history?

The original house was built around 1900. At that time, it was just the living room(the same one with the fireplace and the pipe smoke) and a couple of what were then bedrooms. Over time the house has been added to. I don't know much history about the house, but I do know it was in the same family since it was built until the owner directly before me.

:buddies:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.

I'm disappointed in the current poll results - only 55%, including myself, have said "No." Do you guys believe in witches, prophets, and Jabba the Hutt as well?

I sometimes tell myself that I really do believe in Spider-Man (the very embodiment of awesomeness), but it's just wishful thinking.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is only a 3.2 MB download.
"Ghost Girl"

This guy could've used a SureFire to flash in that room, but then might of "gave it away." *ahem* ;)

The first scene looks like she's coming from the corner of the room. The other two times he has the camera in that direction, you'll just have to look hard to catch a fast glimpse of her.

See what you guys think.

Delvance

Enlightened
Eeehh the link doesn't work...it takes me to uhm...wannabe naughty ? sites and tries to download crap on my comp.

Lit Up said:
This is only a 3.2 MB download.
"Ghost Girl"

This guy could've used a SureFire to flash in that room, but then might of "gave it away." *ahem* ;)

The first scene looks like she's coming from the corner of the room. The other two times he has the camera in that direction, you'll just have to look hard to catch a fast glimpse of her.

See what you guys think.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't belive in anything paranormal or supernatural, and that includes God, reincarnation, ghosts, souls, ESP, etc. I mean no offense to anybody by lumping religion with that other stuff, but in my mind it's all the same.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to imagine they might exist. However nobody has been able to come up with any credible proof to support such a notion. I've been to several supposedly haunted places, and never did I experience anything that could be considered supernatural.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
I'll bite.

Yes, I believe. My current house is haunted, although with friendly spirits. My wife and I hear footsteps through the house after we've gone to bed. Sometimes we smell pipe smoke in one corner of the living room near the wood stove, even though no one smokes in my house. The spot we smell the pipe smoke in would be perfect for someone to place an easy chair and put his feet up to the fire. Sometimes my wife and I will be laying in bed and I'll feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up, that I'm-being-watched feeling. At the same time my wife will stiffen and ask if she thinks we're alone, obviously feeling the same thing. I'll say outloud "This is our bedroom, may we have some privacy, please?" and the feeling will go away, leaving an air of apology. Same in the bathroom sometimes, though very rarely. Lights occasionally turn themselves on when rooms are entered and doors occasionally open themselves when approached. I always say "thank you" when that happens. At first I was just saying it as a general thank you to the world at large for making life more convenient for me by that much, but I've since gotten the impression that the light and door spirit is a child, or sometimes children. A boy and a girl, the girl a couple of years older than the boy. What else? Sometimes one of my cats will be curled around on the sofa with his belly in the air purring loudly(he sounds like my truck idling) as he usually does when having his belly rubbed, but no one's there. Other times both cats will watch something move about the room, something which they can both plainly see and track. I'll look close and see a hint of movement or a change of shadow, sometimes a fleeting shape, but nothing more. Shining a flashlight on it makes it disappear. The cats don't seem bothered by it, the way they are when other cats or dogs or certain people are around, which reassures me.

I don't feel any malice, anger, or danger from any of these people. I don't feel that my wife and I are in any way unsafe here because of them. In fact, I do believe they would help as much as they could should we be in danger. They're quite welcome in our home, so long as they stay out of the bedroom. :)

Cheers all! :buddies:

:eeksign: Are you serious? Lights that turn on themselves? hmmm..... what's the usual frequency of these occurances? Do you actually see anything? Like a physical apparition or objects moving?

WP

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at it as who knows. I certainly do not believe man knows it all, or even half of what there is to know about theuniverse and how it works. So who knows? To say there there is no possiblity, seems to be the height of arrogance to me. Who knows that a ghost is? It could be like a television signal set on rewind and play, who knows? Perhaps there is something after life, and a way to touch both sides, who knows? Not I.

I do hope that there are still things like ghosts, some unfound animals bigfoot or the like, or other things still to discover in the world, it would be pretty boring otherwise.

Zigzago

Enlightened
Diesel_Bomber said:
Shining a flashlight on it makes it disappear.

A new use for flashlights! Who ya gonna call?

Interesting story, though.

I know people who have had such experiences but until I have one of my own I have to vote "no."

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, depending on how you define "witch", i know one. Not believing in something is one thing, as is not understanding why someone else would, but ripping - even indirectly - on people because they do? That's a bit uncalled for.
TigerhawkT3 said:
No.
I'm disappointed in the current poll results - only 55%, including myself, have said "No." Do you guys believe in witches, prophets, and Jabba the Hutt as well?

BTW, if there's no way for ghosts to exist, wouldn't *all* reported cases have to be hoaxes or misplaced perceptions?
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
As for me, I don't believe in them. I am a firm believer that the universe that we live in follows certain rules. There's just no way for ghosts to exist the way some believe. Most "reported" cases are likely hoaxes or misplaced perceptions.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
:eeksign: Are you serious? Lights that turn on themselves? hmmm..... what's the usual frequency of these occurances? Do you actually see anything? Like a physical apparition or objects moving?

WP

Yup, I'm serious. It usually happens a couple times a month, though it's variable. Seems like they go through periods of more activity and less. The last couple of months it's been less; due to pick up again any time now. I've not seen anything other than the brief flicker and change of shadow or a suggestion of a shape that I mention above. The lights turning on is usually a switch that's across the room or behind the wall and hard for me to get to in the dark, so having someone else turn it on can be a real blessing. I don't actually see the switch move but I've definitely heard the muted "click" of the switch being thrown. I rewired the entire house when I bought it; I'm amazed the old wiring hadn't burnt the house down. The doors opening, I've never seen a knob turn, but they're all highly polished and it's entirely possible I just haven't seen it.

I don't know how it works, I don't pretend to know or understand. I've had one near-death experience, which I won't share here, that scared the beejeezus out of me and opened my mind to the possibility of an afterlife. Heaven? Hell? God? No clue. I doubt it. I find the idea that a being who is powerful enough to create our world in a single work week, and still have time to rest, would be interested in our little problems, to be rather ridiculous. But I'm open to the possibility. I definitely agree that to think that anyone knows how this existence works is sheer arrogance, something we humans are notorious for. I've seen enough strange things in my life to think that anything truly is possible. With my direct experiences I do believe in ghosts. I've gone into friend's houses and gotten a feeling I can't describe, the same thing I get here. I'll ask if the house is haunted, and sure enough their eyes will get big and they'll say yes and ask how the fork did I know? I can only guess that there are several planes or levels of existence and that I'm slightly more aware of it than others. I can easily envision a time millenia in the future where humans are enlightened enough to be aware of and interract with these spirits, if we manage not to destroy the planet in the mean time. If absolute proof of space aliens was uncovered, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Though I would think that aliens smart enough to get here, wouldn't. Maybe they're not all that different from us after all. Anyway, enough rambling on philosophical matters. If nothing more, this isn't the thread for it. Sorry WP.

Cheers. Now if only I could get those spirits to brew a decent pot of coffee! :buddies:

Status
Not open for further replies.