Think Lithium & water is bad? Try Rubidium or Cs!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is faked at all (seems a little 'enhanced to me) But either way, this is an educational video that has some significance to CPFers.

Alkaline metals in the bath tub.

Moderator; If you feel this is more suited for the Materials and machining forum, feel free to move it, and my apologies for putting it in the wrong place.

xdanx

Enlightened
Cool! Now if only I could get my hands on some of that.

EDIT: I was being facetious

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was afraid that people would be taking the wrong lesson from this.... :ohgeez:

But at five hundred bucks a gram, at least it is out of the price range of most people who merely want to create mayhem with it.

xdanx

Enlightened
What lesson were we supposed to get? The guy is blowing up bathtubs. Cesium and Rubidium's only real uses are to remove oxygen in vacuum tubes and IR lamps. So what is the purpose of this thread other than showing us explosive materials that no one here will come in contact with?

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sodium "Party"

http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/011.2/

My high school chemistry teacher told me he used to do this demonstration all the time until it wasn't allowed to be done high school anymore. He once did it in a mason jar and just pushed it aside while it was fizzing and continued talking to the class. All of a sudden, the jar exploded unexpectedly and peices of the jar flew past his head missing him by a few inches. The class was pretty impressed though.

Then there's the "alarm clock" idea http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Hydrogen_20Alarm_20Clock

(Read the comment by JakePatterson)

Last edited:

fire-stick

Enlightened
"rapid generation of hydrogen gas"......

Maybe a new form of energy for cars...

Lol 500:1 compression ! ! !

And still cheaper than pump gas ($500 a gram)

LordAngus

Newly Enlightened
Wait till someone tries to flush that down an airplane toilet...

full cavity searches before getting onto planes :(

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
full cavity searches before getting onto planes

heh, anybody who tries to hide some in a cavity is in for a rough ride...

We did the sodium and lithium in water demonstrations in high school. Nobody got hurt :) And we made sodium hydroxide that we then used in something else, I forget what.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I work in the chemistry stockroom at my high school, filing chemicals, cleaning glassware, etc. We have a "watertight" cabinet that stores all the chemicals that would blow up when mixed with water. Last year, we had some heavy rain and a leak in the roof. The next morning, the chemistry teachers came in to find the "watertight" cabinet filled with water, all the bottles of alkaline metals floating in the water. Yikes!

Next year we're moving to a new building (hopefully without a leaky ceiling), so at the end of last year we had to get rid of all the alkaline metals. I was going to get the opportunity to see the chemistry teachers chucking pieces of alkaline metals in a basin of water (outside of course). Unfortunately, someone realized it would be better to have a paid company remove them :). It would have been very cool to see.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, someone realized it would be better to have a paid company remove them

See, this is what's wrong with education. It's all too virtual and too little hands on.

My chemistry teachers would never in a million years have passed up the opportunity to use up the stock a little at a time over the year doing demonstrations for their classes, even if it had nothing to do with the current topic of conversation.

Fine, I can do the math, now show me what it looks like!

watt4

Enlightened
I got to dispose of some sodium in high school. I think some lithium, too, but that was just a little chunk inside some "crust". :) the sodium was big enough that I cut off chunks of it with my pocketknife to let fall into the chemistry lab sink. fun. :)

ever seen the liquid oxygen + charcoal grill? http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/