Do You Prefer Low Domes?

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I'm halfway into my first totally custom light. I say "I" but the truth is if it weren't for my buddy's industrial shop and his expert machining know how this project would remain but a distant dream.

The dilemna is I ordered three MicroPuck luxeon star kits from LED Supply. They came with Batwings with 110 degree angle beams. My question: Is this configuration actually desirable? We threw the LED into a reflector that is machined at 60 degrees and light still pores out everywhere, no spot whatsoever. Total flood. Is this going to make a light that anyone would want? I'm thinking we may have to replace the LEDs with high domes if we want any kind of directed beam. What do you all think?

JohnG

Enlightened
I'm no expert, but from reading here,
I would guess a side emitter is what you should try.
Neither low or high domes will give you much of a beam without optics, but the side emitter should make good use of your reflector especially if you can adjust the height of it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Peter,

"Beams" have numerous characteristics. To tighten-up a low dome you will need a parabolic reflector or optical element. Baseline, at least for me, is the NX05 "optic." There are flood reflectors and larger/better optics throughout this forum and somebody else will have some better answers for you. (I'm just killin' time, doin' a burn test:).

Larry

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet with the low dome is the NX05 collimator (the one with the flat front). It produces a bright hot spot, slowly fading to a slightly wider beam. The overall beam is very smooth, uniform, and void of splotches or dark spots. It won't "throw" as much, but will give you a nice beam.

-Darin

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys! I will comandeer some parts from another light and see if we can't get that beam to tighten up a bit.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what is the size requirement? when used with *ag light reflectors, i find the beam very usable.

in a small package, i think the nx05 optics or the mcflood are probably your best choice.

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Peter,
On their website Led Supply it saids:
Kit Contains:
1 02009A MicroPuck 1W LED Driver Module
1 LXHL-MW1D Luxeon Star 1W White LED

LXHL-MW1D is a Lamertian (High Dome) star if I'm not mistaken. You should've gotten a High Dome not a Batwing. Unless its a mis-print on their end.

dangee

Newly Enlightened
the deeper the parabolic reflector (providing it is of good quality) to width ratio, the tighter the beam. ie: distance from rim edge at lens to point where source (light) is reflected onto reflector is of a deep angle... tighter focus.
of course the opposite is true. many mathamatical ratios can be found, but this simple factor remains. but with light from any source one needs to consider the over all quality of all the componets.
easy:
crappy cells = lower visual light (overall)
crappy lens = lower visual light
crappy emitter = lower visual light
crappy metallurgy = lower visual light(contacts)
crappy electronics = lower visual ligght.

much can be based upon knowledge of the above, and plenty more im sure, but everyone has there own version of what constituts quality in his or hers own mind.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Well, I can tell you that this light is plenty bright already just doing a test by touching the wires to the ends of a battery! But they did indeed send us batwings with these kits. LED Supply told me in an email last week that they are planning to change to high domes so maybe that's what they have done now.

I'll try to post pics of what we have tonight even if the lights aren't finished and working...

Latest posts