Project optics

Wylie

Enlightened
Here is something that I have tried and I found that it works very well for optics used with low dome L/Ss. I was going to keep this a secret and start making them myself and selling them but I am just too busy. It may sound funny but it works very well. I am sure a lot of you know that batteries have machine pressed plates on the ends of them. Take an old alkaline C (or D as I have not tried the D as of yet) cell battery and pop off the positive conductor plate, the C cells do make a pretty close to prefect fit on the low domes if this is done correctly. With an electric cook top (coil type) or some thing that will heat the machine pressed plate/conductor with some
control of the temperature heat the positive conductor/pressed plate just warm enough to melt an acrylic ball without making to much of the melted material boil or bubble. Take a 3/4 inch acrylic sphere and center it over the bump on the plate/conductor and press down on it while it is heated. Be sure to have the sphere completely centered on the bump because it needs to be to have this work right. The plate conductor will stick to the sphere but it will just snap out easily after it cools enough to touch with your hands, you could use pliers too. You may have to remove some material from the sphere and continue to repress it onto the plate/conductor until it fits tightly.
I believe you will be very pleased with the outcome if this is done correctly.
icon14.gif

I would be interested to know just how these measure against other optics that are being produce if any of you out there have the tools to let me know how well my little trick works.

Keeping it real, bright,
Wylie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wylie,

I would assume that you get a wider beam angle from this lens than from the same size acrylic ball that hasn't been modified. Can you confirm?

- Don

Wylie

Enlightened
McGizmo,
It is not what I would call a super tight beam for sure and I have made some optics that were much tighter than this will produce with combinations of lenses. If a housing is set up for this modified ball to stay stationary over the L/S and a lens (meniscus or acromat or others) is placed in a movable area of the flashlights head the beam can be adjusted. I wish I had an L/S low dome that I could get to, then I would do some beam shots for you.

Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Alpha Tea,
That is nice to hear every once in a while, as that is what keeps me going.
grin.gif
It was understood you meant my laser fishing rods.
yellowlaugh.gif
The laser fishing rods have been quite a struggle to get into mainstream production. I have had one self-proclaimed master of manufacturing really screw me around and waste a bunch of my time but this will only cost them later. I am working with another manufacturer now and we have just had sample rods come into the states. This was just the fishing rods themselves with no illumination. We have to get this manufacturer to slow down the baking process of the rod blanks because they are trying to produce them too fast by turning up the heat in their ovens and they are scorching the blanks. This browns them and may also weaken them and these are a couple of thing I cannot have. I would hate to misinform you as to the exact date of availability of the production rods but if I were to take a stab at it I would guess August or so of this year. I do build the laser fishing rods now and have been told that my guide wrappings are excellent by one of the best rod builders in the U.S. if not the world. This was a real feather in my cap as I do all of my work completely by hand without the use of any rolling tools. I do use a rod turner to turn the rods while the coating is curing though.

Thanks for the compliment Alpha Tea,
Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened
Come on folks give it shot and let me know how it turned out. I was hoping that somebody might give this a try and let me know how it stands against the other optics out there. If you get it right it is more than worth it, I am not kidding.
icon14.gif
winkie.GIF

Wylie

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping you are still pursuing multiple lens configurations.

Yes, your laser rods are beautiful and warrant your full protection. I'm thinking that you only lease your intellectual property to manufacturers that you engage in the possible production of these rods.

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a licensing relationship with this manufacturer, or are you contracting them? If the latter you should have formal quality specifications in place for acceptable product and rejecting those that don't meet them.

Wylie

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
smile.gif

I have gone through the processes in order to protect the laser fishing rods with a patent and have also gained enough interest that I feel as though the laser fishing are pretty well protected at this point. That manufacturer that gave me the run around is going to pay a very heavy price very soon as they are in court at this time with a man that has been much more fortunate then myself. I know what type of out fit that company is now and they do not have a chance in court as they have buried themselves in lies and it is pretty easy to see their time has come.
This other manufacturer that I am working with now has been much more of an asset then the first as we have come further in three months than the nine months the first did nothing within. We are going to write up an exclusive licensing agreement but there will be a few limitations to exclusivity, as I know an exclusive licensing can be a bad thing if it is taken to far. There have been a few different avenues for manufacturing that opened themselves up to me in the past couple months that will be used for leveraging on cost management and product diversity as soon as things get rolling. There has been mention of informing the manufacturers we are working with overseas that if the product is not up to par it will not be received or returned for a complete refund.
I really appreciate your interests in my laser fishing rods and would like to thank you both. To be completely honest with you the laser fishing rods have been so consuming that I have not really been able to carry on with my other ideas/projects that are numerous and cover many different areas. The multiple lens configurations that I was working on have been set on the back burner for a while to simmer but will be the next in line as they have come a long ways very fast. I was completely floored by my first attempt at a focusing flashlight and it's hard to pull myself away from working with them now. I just have to keep my interests centered and take thing step by step.
Well any way I hope somebody gives this acrylic sphere thing a try and gets it right so I will know just how well this little venture shows itself. From what I have seen if this is done correctly it blows the NX05 optics out of the water and could offer the do-it-yourselfers a very cool option to buying optics that seem to very greatly from piece to piece.
Thank again and keep it real, bright,
Wylie
winkie.GIF

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert but it sounds like you've got it handled. Best of success in your ventures.

Yes, I'll bet someone will do a mold on your optic suggestion soon. Seems like I've heard the term "plastic polish" around here. I wonder if that would be useful in this process.

Pretty cool idea, Wylie.

Wylie

Enlightened
Icebreaker,
The thing I am most interested in is the output of these little guys compared to optics produced by companies that are in the business of optics. The polishing compound sounds like an interesting option for this process because if the temp is too high when the sphere is pressed onto the batteries conductive plate it will distort the surface where the acrylics meet the plate. Also the surface of the plate could have its own odd shapes as well.
A molding process may just be better as the materials for the spheres were just not intended for the use as optics, I would figure anyway. Somebody will probably make a bundle with this and never even throw me a bone. I just figure it would be nice to see another one of my ideas doing good for people.

Wylie

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
Wylie, It sounds as if you may be going about things too informally and without manufacturer quality incentive. If you don't put in place very specific detailed specifications agreements with them and performance payment arrangements you are asking for potentially serious trouble. Once they have produced inferior product after having been paid in advance you will have money tied up in product you can't sell if you wind up in disageement. Too informal or broad agreements with them could lead to disagreements of understanding and serious difficulty. You've already seen the result once. Oral committments are one thing, all nice and chummy. Having down on legal agreements the clear, hard details of requirements is quite another. You also should have the right to demand quality control through performance incentive provisions as regards payment. This could be %50 in advance, %50 upon acceptance, for volume beyond a reasonable initial minimum. Your argument here is that the minimum covers his startup costs, if any, and should be kept low enough to be appropriate to that only. That minimum should also be low enough to correspond as closely as possible to his profit point after startup cost as an incentive to continue. Ageeing on the accuracy of those costs is often a point of negotiation. This is not unreasonable for the manufacturer. Your argument should be that it is no risk to him while protecting your interests also. If they refuse to negoitiate a reasonable agreement along these lines that demonstrates less than sincere interest in a long term mutually profitable venture and potential trouble for you eventually.

As regards licensing, exclucivity is the manufacturers incentive and you must offer him broad value in terms of potential market size. However, under no circumstances should a license not be contingent upon minimum royalties based on a negotiated formula, regardless of his sales or profits. The formula should of course also include provisions for royalties on sales above those that would correspond in units to the required minimus. Those provisions are commonly referred to as "performance" clauses and "anti-shelving". This of course provides incentive to support the product and returns your licenses in the event the manufacturer cannot or will not continue production at some point.

Beyond the obvious protections of such agreements, contract manufacturers and/or licensees will have a great deal more respect for their relationship with you. You should not under any circumstances avoid the services of a qualified patent attorney to write these agreements. You are likely to eventually pay very dearly for not doing so.

Best of luck.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie -

Originally posted by Icebreak:
I'm no expert
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is exemplified by Clouddancers post.

Clouddancer -

If you are not an invention/marketing expert you have obviously made that knowledge available to you whether through research or employing those that are. Your post was fluid and understandable. It was inspiring.

I can't say how many times I've been night fishing with people and they said, "Ya know, if ..." and I always think of Wylie. He's actually doing something about it.

I have seen many beautiful ideas thought of and demonstated by CPF members and I just feel like they should be rewarded for their intellect. When they allow other members to own there creations that is a courtesy. If a dollar was made I suspect that ten dollars will be spent on more research.

I wanted to ask you two things about patents. If a person knows they have a great idea; what is the main thing that constitutes a patent being envoked ? If that same person does not have $10,000.00 for a patent attorney what are they to do?

Regards,

Jeff

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
*edit*

Wylie -

I've gone off-topic on your thread. This is about popping the positive cap off of a C battery, heating it up on the stove and simply inserting it into an acrylic ball. You have indicated that this makes a highly focused optic for LSs. My understanding is that you would like someone else to try this and compare the results.

Wylie

Enlightened
You got it!
I dont have the equipment to take measurements and could swear these things are putting our way more light than the NX05 optics are. I am sure that the light is spread much more evenly though.

Hey that stuff Clouddancer posted was real good. I sent him a personal message and thanked him for his input.

It only costs $380 dollars to apply for a patent. I am in Southern California and some of the higher end attorneys were $3500 but you can get into them for less. First a patent search is a good idea but make sure your getting in with a reputable company. The best advise I think I can give you is to know the market your getting into and know it well, then do the patent search. The major expenses involved with patents are marketing and manufacturing.

Thanks Icebreaker,
Wylie