Cheap Thrills ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of posts from CPF'rs regarding this inexpensive torch, that inexpensive torch, wanting beam shots etc, and who keep on about it.

Similarly for batteries, cheap, and or in cheap torches.

Will it blow up my torch, will it work...

For Gods' sake, just spend the $10-$25 and find out for yourself !!!

After all, you spent $100's if not $1,000's on your computer.

Torches, and ancilliaries can be such an inexpensive hobby.

Cost your time, say $20 an hour, don't undervalue your time, and really is it worth waiting for a response, you may as well wait for the postman, with greater anticipation..

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? If someone can provide information without any great inconvenience, I'd rather just ask instead of buying something I might not be able to use. You're suggesting that if someone's looking for a $25 light, they buy every one on the market to see which is best? No thanks.

That doesn't work for me or my finances, and I bet I'm not alone.

And I've been rebuilding my computer with reclaimed parts since 2001. My car didn't even costs thousands.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
You're suggesting that if someone's looking for a $25 light, they buy every one on the market to see which is best? No thanks.
That doesn't work for me or my finances, and I bet I'm not alone.

It only costs you $25 if you keep the torch !!

It costs a lot less if you buy, don't like, then re-sell, taking into account postage, say $8 per torch (loss) actual cost.

Then again, they do make nice presents for friends and family.

And there's actually not that many, same questions keep coming up on cheapies..

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
abvidledUK said:

It costs a lot less if you buy, don't like, then re-sell, taking into account postage, say $8 per torch (loss) actual cost.

Then again, they do make nice presents for friends and family.

And there's actually not that many, same questions keep coming up on cheapies..

And $25 here and $8 there can add up to be a lot for some people, especially considering how many lights some of us CPF'rs buy!! Even if I spend $25 on a something, I always research it first...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, let's see here. I buy, but don't like and resell, a Brinkmann, a Browning, a couple no-name imports, and a Streamlight. Using your low figure of an $8 loss per light, I've just spent a lot of my time and lost $40 in hard currency. That means that the light I finally settle on, a Surefire G2, has cost me around $75 plus hours out of my life.

On the other hand, I could ask on CPF and get some user reports plus a few digital photos that took two minutes and didn't cost anybody anything and used the same money to buy a 6P and a P61. Heck, I could pay members for their input and still come out ahead.

Maybe I'm just not thinking in a modern way, but I have better things to do with my life than lose money and waste time.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reading some of the posts on this site, I get the impression that there are quite a few posters who are on fixed incomes, or relatively low incomes where $25 could mean about 3 hours of work (before deductions.) It is all relative in the comparison depending upon the person's level of income, for some, $25 might be less than what we might spend on lunch, but for others it could be quite a bite into their daily earnings.

abvidledUK said:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually sold every torch I didn't want for more than I paid for it, usually on ebay. Sometimes on CPF.

So my hobby, costs me nothing, apart from battery costs, for any torch I don't want.

The torches I keep, are a bonus.

It is, after all, a hobby, and I expect some cost.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's difference between expecting some costs for a hobby and incurring them needlessly. You're saying there's no reason to try and save money, even when it's easier than not. I'm saying I'd rather buy more or better lights with the money I otherwise would have flushed away.

Other than the collection proper, I've managed to stay in the black on the rotating stuff, too. Doesn't mean I go out of my way to spend the profits. I wouldn't have 70+ lights right now if I did.

Last edited: