ldf lens questions

missionaryman

Enlightened
can anyone help me with the do's and donts of a diffusion lens from flashlightlens?

does it go textured side in or out?
is there a limit to how hot it can get? is ROP hi ok?

MSI

Enlightened
Why on earth would you want to use one? The light becomes a total flood with absolutly now throw and the incan color becomes much more obvious. For flood lights LEDs are nicer IMO.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSI said:
Why on earth would you want to use one?

Because sometimes a "total flood" is what you need. For instance I have a 3C mag with a UWOK and I like the LDF in it for yard duty or even inside duty.

Without the LDF the tiny tight spot is useless inside. And if I widen the beam out I get a donut. So...

With the LDF it keeps a really nice shaped beam along with a great flood. I don't need to see what's 200 yards out with it.

And to answer the original question the film side goes in. As far as how hot it can get... I can't answer that. I would email flashlightlens and ask. My guess is it won't take a tremendous amount of heat, but that's only a guess.

MM

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my back yard, an LDF makes a Mag85 with smooth reflector look like a high stipple. I really like lighting up my whole back yard at once. Very cool, and very useful. True, it'll demolish your throw and hot spot, but if you've got a lot of lumens, it's great for close to mid range flood.

missionaryman

Enlightened
I'm using it with an 1150lumen ROP with a fivemega 2" deep reflector and have a spare UCL to swap between spot or throw should I need either. Just don't want to stupp the coating if the ROP's too hot.
With the Deep reflector and LDF it's akin to a light stipple but more yellow in colour and probably about 200 less lumens. Still very bright and useable.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i frosted a borofloat lens to make a flood light out of my mag11... here is the main problem with LDF/frosting.. it makes the light an absolute PAIN for anybody else near you.. rather than having to be in the direct line of sight of the reflector axis.. within 15 deg. or so... they only have to be within the 180 degree half-sphere to see a BLINDINGLY bright light.. it's torturous for somebody to witness this, and it's nearly impossible to avoid blinding people near you using a light like this.. consider how big a shape a half-sphere is around the front of the light.

I'm a bit curious about the temp... i've melted a few plastic lenses.. i would ask chris at flashlightlens.com first to find out what the melting point is.

Flood light in most cases is more useful than spot.. spot is a lot of fun... but flood if you have enough lumens to spread around is far more useful. I have the personal experience to back up that claim.

-awr

missionaryman

Enlightened
here's pic using the mag xenon 6 cell bulb and 3 x 123A cells on medium focus:

Clear_VS_Diffusion.jpg